Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

WARNING!!!...possible stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default WARNING!!!...possible stupid question

For all of my fellow Mustang brothers, I ask you this: I have a Roush hood scoop. Of course all Roush hood scoop owners most likely wish it was functional. I know that I do. Here's where the stupid question comes. Is it possible to make it functional. Is there anyway to cut that plastic part inside so air can get in there, and then, is it possible to open the hood and cut a rectangular piece of the sheet metal so air gets in? Thank you in advance for your help/advice.
(p.s....If this truly was a stupid question, please be easy on me
Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

Default RE: WARNING!!!...possible stupid question

You could do it, but not sure how well it would look. Might be better off just doing a shaker setup or aftermarket hood with ram air.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:16 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cboisits

For all of my fellow Mustang brothers, I ask you this: I have a Roush hood scoop. Of course all Roush hood scoop owners most likely wish it was functional. I know that I do. Here's where the stupid question comes. Is it possible to make it functional. Is there anyway to cut that plastic part inside so air can get in there, and then, is it possible to open the hood and cut a rectangular piece of the sheet metal so air gets in? Thank you in advance for your help/advice.
(p.s....If this truly was a stupid question, please be easy on me
I wish I had the link, but someone on one of these Mustang boards tried exactly that on a 2005. It was a disaster, as I recall air builds up under the scoop and lifts the hood upward or something.

I wouldn't worry about getting a functional scoop if you like the way yours looks. Even the functional designs don't have much of a real world benefit. I guess you can have a fake hood scoop that does nothing or a real hood scoop that does next to nothing. In the end, it comes down to style, not performance.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have a Roush scoop. That insert is just 3 bolts top & bottom holding it on, No big deal to lose that. Now making it truely functional is a different story. Look at an old 69 GTO w/Ram Air, That's one way. Meaning you set up the entire air system, plumed to the air filter box,and seals up against hood when closed. I've thought about it myself but there isn't much room between the hood and intake. Now I have a plenum cover and a strut tower brace which makes 0 room for anything else. As mentioned, if you want functional, go with the shaker and pay out the $800. In my case, I need the strut tower brace for support so shaker had to be ruled out.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I'm with wmtheflash one.....it's nice to be able to say your scoop is functional, but at the end of the day....being functional and actually being useful performance-wise will be two different things. Simply put, modern motors just don't see much benefit from ram-air setups.Even the engineers who designed the shaker scoop system on the 03/04 Mach 1s admitted that the feature was largely a cosmetic nostalgia piece rather than an actual performance enhancing feature.

If it really bothers u to have a nonfunctional scoop......then go ahead and spend the time and money to make it functional. But I don't know if I'd recommend just cutting a hole in your hood and sticking an open scoop there. You want functional scoops/vents?......... get a shaker system or purpose built ram-air hood. I have a bad feeling about just McGuyver'in this kind of setup.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+

Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

The appearance scoop is fine by me...I did think about the shaker system for about 1 sec. Nothing against it, but it was just not for me..
Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Just cutting a hole through the hood into the engine compartment doesn't serve any purpose, you'd need to get the air to the intake/ air filter. Old school muscle cars had a carb, so the air filter sat right on top of the motor and it was very easy to cut a hole in the hood and dump air straight into the air filter. Not so on the newMustang, because of the fuel injection the air filter is not on top, it's over in the front left corner of the engine compartment. There are some aftermarket hoods that get air from the scoop over to the front left corner, but reports are that the actual HP improvements are minimal. That's probably because the air has to enter the scoop and then travel FORWARD to the intake, the opposite direction that the car is moving.

If you want ram air, the best unit seems to be this one:

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm

It pulls air from between the grille and hood. I've wondered if it would be possible to cut a hole near the front edge of a hood scoop and have it directly over this intake, hard to tell though as I can't tell if the scoop is too far back or not.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:23 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

So this may work and it might not, but if you were to cut the hole you were talking about in the hood under the scoop and add the Cervini's 67 Ram Air kit underneath along with a little tweaking it might be possible. I know the kit has the plumbing/ducting to redirect the air over the airbox area. Just an idea.

https://www.cervinis.com/product.asp...p;id=1208#8030

Quick Reply: WARNING!!!...possible stupid question