Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT500 chin spoiler install on 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default GT500 chin spoiler install on 06 GT

Here's my crack at a walkthrough. Big Thanks to PartsBill for his sage advice as he's done this and he gave me good advice on the pitfalls.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:47 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 chin spoiler install on 06 GT

Here's the chin spoiler, unmodified just held up by jacks so I can mark where to cut.

Here I am using one of those carpentry tools I use to mark crown molding. Figured this would be good to get the angles just right.

Now the spoiler on the ground unmodified.If you look in the lower right you can see tape where I marked it off for trimming. I used a marker to transfer the angle from the previous pic on the spoiler

And this is where the magic happens. I used cutoff wheels on the dremel to achieve this mess you see here. So yeah - it looks like crap, but later the palm sander comes in to clean this all up.

This pic shows pre-sanding how the spoiler now accommodates the lip on the bumper. Again, it's still a little rough fit but the sanding will make it flush.

And here's the other side before it's hacked so you can see how it doesnt fit. Near the blue tape is the marker line I mentioned earlier.

So I dont know about the rest of you but I am early to bed early to rise, so here's the spoiler raw the next morning. Figured if I had kept going the night before I was going to make a stupid mistake so I stopped. Most of the sanding was done and I went a little finer, but figured it's under the bumper so fuhgetaboutit.

So here you can see in the wheel well the stock screws. I drilled new holes in the spoiler to match the stock holes rather than screwing up the wheel well here. It was simply too risky and I'd rather trash the spoiler from a mistake. Fortunately, I measured it pretty well and they went in without much trouble.

Now at this point, you should be asking yourself, well how do you mount it underneath? Once you get it cut you'll see underneath the front bumper towards the back of the painted area 4 screws. The spoiler matches up to those screws perfectly. But there's at least 6 holes in the spoiler? I drilled two holes in the bottom of the bumper matching up the existing spare holes in the spoiler (nothing above it so I wasnt worried about it) and mounted it there as well with a bolt/washer bottom and nut/lockwasher combo on top. Now I had heard some folks saying they saw sag so they made a brace in the middle. I didnt see any sag, nor did I see anywhere to create a homemade brace to mount it to. So if anyone who has done this and put in the brace in the middle would like to show or speak to what they did, please do.

If you go back and look at the pics where I was cutting and sanding, you'll see these big gaping holes. When you mount this, those stick out like a sore thumb. I found these at Checker and bought 2 packages of 5. I had to slightly enlarge the holes with my 1/2" bit and then went in pretty loosely. I tried the old water and soap trick to jam them in before and it didnt work for me, hence the drilling. I then used superglue to attach them, but in hindsight it would have been better to use a lighter or a soldering iron IMO to melt them flange on them into the bottom. The superglue took a long time to setup and it did leak some on the spoiler which was a pain to clean up.

Anyway - here it is fully mounted but unpainted.
At this point I am pretty happy with myself. I got the thing mounted and life is good. Then my wife comes out and tells me this looks like a f*&%^ing ricer with the spoiler unpainted (she didnt say the f word..I added that for flair!) Yeah - it looks raw, but I like it. She says she doesnt but it's my car so do whatever I want.
BTW - look at the reflection on the hood. There's not much I like about Colorado but we do get some beautiful sunsets.

This plagues me so I go get paint supplies and a week later I have this.

How do you like me now?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Looks great...the hard work paid off...congrats!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Job well done!! Looks great .
Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Great guide, I love DIY stuff. Looks factory.

Also, may I ask wheredid you get a gt500 spoiler from? The dealership? if I may be so bold to ask how much does it run for?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:04 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You can get the spoiler from the dealership. I did, $60. They had to order it, but you don't pay shipping when the dealer orders it, so it was all good.

Mine is modded too, need to paint still.

Great writeup!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:12 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I'll definately post pics when im done. I'm torn on painting mine. I have a silver satin car with black stripes, so a black spoiler may look good... Im torn!

Will post pics, hey maybe I'll get it on tonight.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. $60 from the dealer - no shipping. Silver satin with black stripes...that would look awesome even unpainted.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

nice!!! now another mustang looks like mine
Old 05-28-2007, 04:27 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I did mine tonight! yay

Quick Reply: GT500 chin spoiler install on 06 GT