Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Welts -- another appearance mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Door Welts -- another appearance mod

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

What is this stuff? Is it like mody side molding? I want chrome.
It's called Welt. I went to a local upholstery store to see how much they would charge for Welt......$45.00 for 5 yards.....he must be on crack! I will definitely order it from one of the guys listed above.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

What Interior upgrade are you guys talking about??? I got an 05 Conv with the Sport Package, will it work on my car???
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DRWS10

What Interior upgrade are you guys talking about??? I got an 05 Conv with the Sport Package, will it work on my car???
Look on page one....first post. Does the inside of your door look something like that? Did you get the IUP?

Take a picture of the inside of your door and we can tell you if it will work or not.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

That does look pretty cool and sounds like it'd be an easy upgrade. Don't know if it would fit my trim though i just have the standard low grade deluxe model lol
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

That does look pretty cool and sounds like it'd be an easy upgrade. Don't know if it would fit my trim though i just have the standard low grade deluxe model lol
From what they are saying, if you don't have the interior upgrade, it won't work.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I went on a mission this morning to find a way to install some sort of door welts on my non- IUP car. I think I have succeeded after sweating my a@@ of in the 90+ degree sun!!! After searching the automotive then craft sections at Walmart, I ended up at Kragen. Well, I bought a roll of black door trim 5/8 thick, figured it's only $9 so if it doesn't work no huge loss. What a pain in the rear this was! I left the roll of trim in the sun for about 10 minutes to heat up and get more pliable to work with. The projectstarted off really great, the trim was easy to shove in the crack, until it started to cool off and became hard. So, I pulled the whole car out of the garage and waited a little while to get the trim soft again, then shoved some more in. Finally, after 45 minutes and sweat rolling off my forehead the door is done [sm=happy046.gif]! I only hope that the plastic (I'm guessing some sort of plastic & rubber mix) doesn't shrink in the winter and fall out of the crack. For anyone who wants to do this who doesn't have the IUP, the one roll was enough to do one door. The left over piece is 3" short of doing the rear side panel. So for the whole car, you will need 2 rolls for the doors and an extra roll for the rear panels. **The key ticket here is to, unfortunately, do this in the hottest part of the day so the trim is soft and easy to mold into the gap. But don't get discouraged, when it's done, it is worth it!!!

Now what to do with that plain looking speaker cover??? Any ideas???
Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

4Rowdy what colors did they have???[/align][/align]okay...here's another option some guy did:

I went to the local Pep Boys and bought some Chrome interior trim. At first I bought 1/8th width ($14 for a 20ft roll), but that proved to be too small. It was too deep into the groove and you couldnt really see it as pronounced as the welts. I used the excess and did some dash trim with it instead.

I went back to Pep Boys and bought the 1/4 width $15 for 20ft, and it's perfect. I'm also considering doing the rear seat panels, too. I'll take some pics and post up soon.

I went this route because I have the non-leather door inserts, non-IUP dash and Black ext paint. The chrome accents the interior nicely. Those of you with colors can scuff the chrome with sandpaper and paint to colormatch.[/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

DRWS10They had the black and chrome in stock. There was a empty spot for gold. We are a small town so they only had the one roll of 5/8 that I bought, supposed to get more in Friday. So will have to wait until then to do the other door and back seat area. Not sure about the chrome, it looked more like it was covered in shiney tape, I didn't care for it. The black has a vinyl feel to it, more like trim. I agree with the part you posted though, 1/4 inch would have probably been easier to cram in the gap, because 5/8 was a real bear! But, since my options were limited here in "Hooterville", it did work and looks nice. Although I'm not looking forward to it, I'll be glad when the other side is done!!!
Hey, I wonder if you could get more color options from somewhere like Summit Racing?

Oh, I got my free samples of the welt today from Mikes, there is no way in hell those would have fit. I can't believe there is so much gap difference between the IUP and without.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I am looking to do it in Troch red so hopefully I can find somewhere that has that color.[/align]Is the upgrade have a bigger or smaller gap then us, cause if its bigger I wonder if you could just buy that one and then just shave the back off so it will fit. hmmmm[/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM
JimC

4Rowdy that looks great -- and it takes a lot longer for you with non IUP it sounds like. But it gives a nice "finished" look to your door.[sm=goodidea.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Door Welts -- another appearance mod