Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Roush Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush Spoiler Install

I recently ordered the roush quarter window louvers, and I was thinking about ordering there spoiler but I am pretty sure that you need to drill holes with a template, and I myself am not comfortable drilling into the body of my car at all. So I was just wondering how many people have the roush spoiler and have installed it themselves or if they had a professional install it what was the install price?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Roush Spoiler Install

I have it but didnt install it. I do love the look and that was part of the reason for the purchase of my mustang. Roush performance should beable to help you with any questions but from past experience call them or you'll wait 2 weeks for a reply via email.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Maddog52
1st Gear Member

Had a body shop install myn and he only charged me like 70 bucks since I bought it pre-painted. Word of warning, if you have an '07 with the satellite antennae installed on the back, the spoiler will not fit exactly according the template. He actually had to move mine back a bit further to make it work, so it required more 3M tape at the front since the lower back doesn't actually touch my car.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I have an 06' so I dont think that I have to deal with the satellite antenna. I was thinking about having the dealership near me that sells Roush Mustangs install it but I am afraid at what kind of price quote they will throw at me, probably be outrageous.....we'll see.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Maddog52
1st Gear Member

Yeah have a local shop do it, the dealer will own you.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Agustin7

I did my own installation and it came out beautifully. Couple of tips. First, don't be afraid to drill your car. Drilling is not hard as long as you go slow and drill with the template in place. Second, if you have a factory spoiler installed, make sure to use their holes for the template. On your template you will see that there are a total of 6 holes, 4 holes where the factory spoiler should be and 2 holes on the ends of the trunk lid. The factory spoiler holes need to line up with the 4 spoiler holes on the template. If they line up perfectly, they should without a problem. you can line the rest of the templates up based on this alone.

Make sure you are lining up the sides and ends as instructed. To keep the template from moving a lot during the initial setting, line up the 4 holes from the factory spoiler and place bolts in the holes. Once you have the sides and ends lined, tape it down as much as you can so it won't move with the wind. Line up you two side spoiler templates with the lines on the trunk lid template and tape those down.

I wouldn't waste time centering punching the holes, as the 1/8" drill bit will stay on target if you control the drill and start by using small trigger bursts to get the hole started. Do not touch the bit with your bare hand after drilling or any metal shavings, as they will be smoking hot! Blow off the metal shavings by mouth. DO NOT wipe them off. They will scratch your finish.

Be prepared to pull back some of the trunk's interior trim. You may have difficulty accessing the holes eitherwise. Last piece of advice is do not tighten any one bolt until all bolts in that piece.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Agustin7 that was a good write up. I am still gonna call around and get some prices for the install, weigh the pros and cons and then go from there. I may decide to do it myself, just because I am a stickler on whether or not things are sraight and I dont want a body shop to do a crap job and then I would have to pretty much live with it.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
racinjason424
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agustin7

I did my own installation and it came out beautifully. Couple of tips. First, don't be afraid to drill your car. Drilling is not hard as long as you go slow and drill with the template in place. Second, if you have a factory spoiler installed, make sure to use their holes for the template. On your template you will see that there are a total of 6 holes, 4 holes where the factory spoiler should be and 2 holes on the ends of the trunk lid. The factory spoiler holes need to line up with the 4 spoiler holes on the template. If they line up perfectly, they should without a problem. you can line the rest of the templates up based on this alone.

Make sure you are lining up the sides and ends as instructed. To keep the template from moving a lot during the initial setting, line up the 4 holes from the factory spoiler and place bolts in the holes. Once you have the sides and ends lined, tape it down as much as you can so it won't move with the wind. Line up you two side spoiler templates with the lines on the trunk lid template and tape those down.

I wouldn't waste time centering punching the holes, as the 1/8" drill bit will stay on target if you control the drill and start by using small trigger bursts to get the hole started. Do not touch the bit with your bare hand after drilling or any metal shavings, as they will be smoking hot! Blow off the metal shavings by mouth. DO NOT wipe them off. They will scratch your finish.

Be prepared to pull back some of the trunk's interior trim. You may have difficulty accessing the holes eitherwise. Last piece of advice is do not tighten any one bolt until all bolts in that piece.
[align=left][/align]
Nice write up... I installed my own too (and hood scoop) the instructions are very well detalied and the templetes make it a no brainer.. If you have any mechanical inclanation at all, and can run a drill, it is quite easy.. Just follow the directions closely and take your time.. It was really quite gratifying... I think I had a beer and a half in the whole job.. You might try taking off the stock spolier and taping on the templates and see if you feel more confident!!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I ended up calling the dealer that sells Roush mustangs and they are only gonna charge me $75 for the install, so I think I am gonna let them do it, just because its hard for me to find the time to do the install, but thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:24 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

ya I had mine put on by a guy that worked at a ford dealership bosy shop and he only charged me $40 cash.

Question for RacinJason. I cant really see it that well but does your windshield decal say ROUSH?

Quick Reply: Roush Spoiler Install