Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!

I tried installing 10" pre-cut racing stripes from BSM... Got pissed while trying to run them over theFRONTbumper and ripped them all off (well, I only had the hood done at that point - which was a piece of cake).

While doing to bumper, I peeled back some of the backing paper, as instructedwhen installing near areas where you are to tuck the ends out of sight... HOWEVER, after doing so - I couldn't get them to lay downflat over the contours of the bumper. When I tried to squeegee them flat without the backing paper,theycreased horribly[:@][:@][:@]. And thenI turned into a giant 3-year-old andhad atantrum...After spending over an hour measuring, taping,preping, and lying down the hood stripes - I ripped them off in about 1.5 seconds...

Anyone else have this problem -or- have any tips? I would still like to have stripesand would give it another try if someone gave me some helpfull hints. It'sobvious why the factory stripes only run over the TOP of the car...It's a pain in the **** dealing with the bumpers...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!

Honestly, to save yourself from another temper tantrum (I'm not knocking you, I know how it goes), I would just take it in somewhere to get the stripes put on.

Then some pro who's done it a million times can do it for you, and if they get frustrated by the bumpers and tear off the stripes, at least it won't cost you anything extra.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Yeah they can be a pain in the azz.Why don't you lay what you can and then take it
to a shop for the front bumper install.But when I installed mine I gave them a little
cut on the outside (about an inch) then laid them straight (the insides of the stripes)
Then cut them all the way across and tucked them in.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:20 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Ya, thanks...The last time I got myself soooo mad, I could've punched a dog right in the face...I know that's a little sick and disturbing- I am seeking help for my problems...
Old 06-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Lol
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

hahah.. i liek the dog statement.. thats hillarious..

but seriosly.. i thought about stripes.. and dont want to do them for this reason.. i can only imagine what the frustration would be like..
Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Go with "I was so mad I could have kicked kittens" ... it sums it up pretty well

+1 on getting them professionally done. The stripes just look like a job that would infuriate me.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seniorsmith

Ya, thanks...The last time I got myself soooo mad, I could've punched a dog right in the face...I know that's a little sick and disturbing- I am seeking help for my problems...
Gosh dude,made me crack up laughing!!! That was damn funny!!![sm=icon_rofl.gif]
ANYways.........I think you got a fine lookin' ride.....I know it sucks to have the stripes mess up. Just take the car and get someone to put 'em on for ya. Best of luck to you ! Shella ~
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Mike Star

The best thing to do is to keep everything soapy and wet. Ive done flames on car (PITA) and as long as you keep things wet, it will move around to where you want it to.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

I used to do vinyl for a sign shop some time back, we had to put vinyl on just about everything, truck trailors were always the worst. Always keep it wet and soapy (make sure your mix isn't "too"soapy or it will have a difficult time tacking down) then as you are squeezing the water out, start hitting the vinyl with the heat gun (this enables you to tack it down where it's needed as well asmakes the vynal a bit more flexible, belive me I flipped out just like you on somany occassion.Also make sure you do it in anice cool shaded area, I can't stress this enough! Best of luck!

Quick Reply: SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!