MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section-122/)
-   -   3M Tape - Surface Prep Info (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/326803-3m-tape-surface-prep-info.html)

Nuke 08-03-2007 09:50 PM

3M Tape - Surface Prep Info

I just received my quarter window louvers and side scoops from hubcapsplus (wheelskin.com) and they did not include any instructions. I did a forum search on 3M tape use and surface preparation and my results were sketchy.

The following is copied and pasted from the hubcapsplus website:

Surface Preparation -
[ul][*]Surface temperature for application should be no lower than 60 degrees, and no higher than 85 degrees. If climate will not permit, install your part(s) inside a garage and use a hair dryer to warm the surface.
[*]The area to receive the tape should first be thoroughly cleaned with a liquid detergent and warm water solution. Then rinsed with clean water and allowed to dry completely.
[*]A final wipe with 100% rubbing alcohol is highly recommended for best results (use a clean lint free cloth). Ensure the surface is completely dry and residue free before proceeding.
[*]A felt tip pen or pencil should be used to put down some reference points to help line up your part(s) during application prior to attaching. Remove the tape backing, being very careful not to contact the adhesive. Line up the outer edges of your part(s) with your reference points.
[*]Press carefully into place and apply heavy even pressure to the outer tape areas to ensure a proper bond is achieved. Be careful not to push too hard as to avoid flexing of the plastic.
[*]Tape bond will take 24 hours to cure. Do not drive vehicle during this period! [/ul]
I hope this helps those that intend on installing anything soon with 3M tape. It's all in the preparation...

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]

suoperdave84 08-04-2007 12:47 AM

RE: 3M Tape - Surface Prep Info

For the best results:
1. Place part on car and use masking tape to mark the edges so you have reference points

2. Clean car and parts

3. clean car and parts with rubbing alcohol. Do this several times too.

4. Apply 3M Adhesion Promoter. You can get them in little packets from Levine Automotive. Apply this to the part and the car before you apply the tape.

5. Apply 3M tape to the part in as many places as you can. Wider tape is better too if it will fit.

6. Peel plastic backing from the tape

7. Using the masking tape on the car as a reference, place part on car and apply even pressure for a few minutes.

Yes you can drive the car after this, but I would still wait a while. I think the strength is 60% instantly, and get's stronger over 72 hours. I would not do this without the 3M adhesion promoter if I were you. I got mine delivered in just 2 days.

Also, they recommend not painting the side of the part that touches the car because the paint can peel off and the part will fly off the car. If you have paint on the inside of the part, I would carefully sand it off down to the plastic. I had to do this for a few of my parts but I am glad I took the time and did it right.

redxls 08-04-2007 09:23 AM

let the 3m adhesion promoter get tacky before you stick the parts to it. this is very important. I have to remove and re-intall my roush rear window louvers becuase the mounts are coming off. I thought the adhesion promoter was just an alcohol swab and I found out I was very wrong. and do not drive the car for a day.

TPony 08-04-2007 09:39 AM

In case anyone is interested in where to find the promoter at levineautoparts

they are about $1.75 per packet...

likemike99 08-09-2007 08:04 PM

I would actually use a wax remover even before I clean it.

sleeper2 08-10-2007 10:58 AM

Instead of using pencil or markers to make reference lines, I place blue painter's masking tape just along the outside border of where I'm going. I use the inside straight edge of the painters tape as a reference. When I'm done, I just peel off the tape. It IS a good idea to follow the surface temperature guidelines, it makes your life a lot easier.

Sleeper2

Nuke 08-12-2007 04:05 PM

I used a stack of PostIt notes about 1/4" thick as my guides. Worked like a charm when I installed my side scoops.

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]