Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Side Stripe Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Caladius

Default Side Stripe Question

I hear alot of people telling me that I should take the side stripe off my car. I honestly dont know why, but I hear it so much that its beginning to make me curious. Can anyone explain this concept to me please?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 AM
JimC

Default RE: Side Stripe Question

Some people don't like the side stripe - I like it on my car so don't plan to remove it. It is similar to the 1966 style so fits the "retro" theme of the S197.
However on some colors I have to agree that it looks better without the side stripe, particularly with the GT rockers since then the stripe can appear to be too high on the car.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have the side stripes as well and a side exhaust (with side skirts). Its personal preference and I think its very retro like Jim C stated (whats up Jim!). Who really cares what anyone says......the only question I have is R U happy with them? nuff said IMO Later J
Old 10-03-2007, 09:12 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

At first I was really hesitant to take mine off, but once I did, I would do it again. It is so much more sleek there, and unbroken up on the side. I may replace it with a differne one in white, but it just looked too clutered with the black stripe there.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I love mine too. My problem is that it's starting to come off in one spot at the 'G' and I fear that sooner rather than later I'll just have to take the whole thing off before it looks tacky where it starts to come off on its own. I know lots on this forum are against the looks of it but like MyGT500 says....I like it, screw the rest of the opinions
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ArcticFrog

I love mine too. My problem is that it's starting to come off in one spot at the 'G' and I fear that sooner rather than later I'll just have to take the whole thing off before it looks tacky where it starts to come off on its own. I know lots on this forum are against the looks of it but like MyGT500 says....I like it, screw the rest of the opinions
Have you been putting anything on it to help preserve it?

I use Aerospace 303 Protectant on the vinyl stripe. If you don't keep something on it, it will crack and peel.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I have the side stripes as well and a side exhaust (with side skirts). Its personal preference and I think its very retro like Jim C stated (whats up Jim!). Who really cares what anyone says......the only question I have is R U happy with them? nuff said IMO Later J
Absolutely the right way to say it Jason! Our cars are so highly modifiable and can be customized to individual preferences that someone will always have an opinion that is different. I just had someone tell me that they like the sound of my dual exhaust but hate the fact I painted the mufflers flat black rather than leaving them the aluminum color that stood out behind the bumper. Everyone has an opinion and I prefer the blacked out mufflers and my side stripe - but I've seen another car that is the twin to mine who took off his side stripes and it looks fine as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Caladius

Thanks guys, I had no real intentions of removing it but I was highly curious about why it was done.

Aerospace 303? i have a spray bottle of that, that i use to clean my dash and stuff inside my car. will that work for the vinyl stripe as well? or is it a specific type?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

i like the look of the stripe on the car and have no plans on taking it off. Like everyone else said, its just a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
project85
3rd Gear Member

I like it... planning to keep mine on too [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Side Stripe Question