Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Scratched my car; questions also

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Default Scratched my car; questions also

Was backing out of my driveway late last night with some buddies in the car...and one of them forgot to tell me that he parked his black firebird on top of the hill in my driveway...so I back up the hill, and right when my car starts to level out and I can see the driveway, not the sky, I see...well no, thats just it. I didn't see the driveway, I saw a black void where the driveway should have been. It took 1/100 of a second for me to realize that it was probably his car and I slammed on the brakes a moment too late. It looks like I scratched to the right of the license plate...not too bad. Gonna post a picture up tomorrow.

I think I'm going to goto MAACO or the dealership..see if they can buff it out or paint it. But while they were there I was wondering if they could...buff the rest of the car...if that is what it needs. What I mean by that is I have some "scratches" all over my car (black). How easy is it to scratch the clearcoat and paint? I have little tiny "scratches" that I can't just rub out all over the car...more towards the back. They just seem to appear from nowhere. I'm usually so careful with the car, I wash it myself very carefully or take it to the wash down the street. I usually wipe dust off of it with a cloths specifically for cars with compound also for cars. I don't rub hard at all, and never if the car is actually dirty. Just dusty. Yet...little *** scratches or bumps appear.

I've never had a black car before, is it just impossible to keep black cars clean, scratchless? Or is my version of "clean" really an overly obsessive quest for perfection to normal people?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Scratched my car; questions also

It's pretty hard. My daily driver is black and the swirl marks are hard to keep down. You're doing the right thing by using a cloth that's designed for a car, only 100% cotton terry or a microfiber cloth should touch your paint. I do one step above this and wash them after each use.

A cheap, safe fix is to use Meguiar's Scratch X. I've used it on many cars. It really works and will reduce or remove many of the swirl marks without damaging your paint. You can also use two buckets when you wash. One to rinse the wash mit and the other for your soapy water.

Otherwise, you can have it professionally buffed or do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, then please, be careful!

I'd pick up a little Scratch X and try it out first. It's great stuff. I always have a little on hand. Just make sure to keep it way from stripes if they are vinyl.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Scratched my car; questions also

Buy Turtle Wax ICE liquid Clay Bar. I saw an infomercial on it and I decided to try it. I had 2 spots on my car with swirl marks (from what I don't know...I didn't do it) but I was AMAZED that it took them right out. It was super easy too. Took like 3 minutes.