Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Home Made E-brake Boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Home Made E-brake Boot

Hey 300GT,

That's a link to Redline, the guys I mentioned in my write-up. They make a full e-brake boot, but it needs to be refined and tightened up. On the other hand, they may be able to stitch up a "universal-style" boot that makes exx1976 happy. I didn't find any listed on their website, so it might be a custom job for them.

exx1976, I'm still looking through my reciepts (I'm usually more organized than this), but no luck so far.

Best,
-j
Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang

Here’s a write-up on how I added a leather emergency brake boot.
Let me start out by saying that only two interior items greatly disappointed me with the new Mustangs. The first was the obnoxiously ugly sub-woofer grill on Shaker equipped cars. The second was the emergency brake cover. LORD what was Ford thinking?
I'd have to agree, and add that the overhead console looks like it came from an '86 taurus. not good. just my opinion, though.

Very nicely done on the lever boot!!

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Here's sort of an update:

1. You might want to look into the Genie Lo-Line Plus boot kit (it runs $30), that is, if Redline is charging too much.
2. In searching for a matching boot, I came across another write-up on installing a custom boot. The guy there used a great method for attaching the front of the boot that doesn't involve sewing or an o-ring. Instead you turn the boot inside out, slide it over the grip backwards (narrow side first, with wide side pointed towards the dash) until it is just past the point where the front of the boot will sit (this would be on the OEM grooves that are accessible once you remove the plastic lever cover), and then you use a zip-tie to secure it. Once secured, you just flip the boot back over it (turning it right-side out), and tuck in the lower portion. Brilliant! Wish I would've thought of it. You can check it out at: http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/ebrake.php (bad pictures, but a sound idea).

This method would work very well once you remove the plastic cover and should prove to be much easier than the sewing bit I did. Also, that site lists an ebay seller who seems to do custom boots, but I haven't looked into his work.

Best,
-j

Oh, and SlideWRX, I agree with you, the overhead map lights are a poor design solution. Fortunately, much like that obnoxiously large sun visor sticker, I rarely actually "see" the thing when I get in and out and drive. So I'm not motivated to do much about it.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

For interested parties, the ebay seller trisha1975 is back at it again!

I couldn't find his information at the time of the last post, but I just saw a new listing he put up for his work on an S197 specific e-brake boot. I don't know this guy and am not affiliated with him, but I appreciate his work. It's a great boot, much more streamline than the Redline unit, and it uses a vinyl that seems to be very close to our seats. Also, he's a regular joe just trying to make his ride better (not in business for this), so he doesn't always have these available. Anyway, this is the link to his listing (I hope this is ok to post):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...ayphotohosting

I know his boot requires the removal of the console (like Redline), but I don't know if he recommends removing the OEM plastic cover over the brake arm. If not, I would highly recommend this, as it really lines up the boot with the handle.

Best,
-j
Old 03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Very interesting, I am subscribing...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Good job! That looks good!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

Check this url out.

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/EbrakeBoot.htm

dly 07 GT/CS

[IMG]local://upfiles/40386/B1A8F910A7834E9594BF9EDD5498A463.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Awesome writeup. I've thought the same exact thing since I've bought mine and don't like the look of the aftermarket ones or the cost of the GT500 e-brake. I think I have a Redline boot laying around from a VW I had. I may just try to make that one work. Oh, and one thing I did to brighten up the overhead console was to get the aluminum trim from Scott Drake which was like $20. I have the one with Shelby script but the more I look at it, the more I want to get the plain one to replace it. It really makes it look a lot better and includes aluminum buttons too.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

This was a quick install. I dug up the e-brake boot from my old VW when I got home. This is a Redline Goods e-brake boot for a Mk3 VW Jetta/Golf/GTI (~93-98). I cut about an inch off the skinny end so I could feed it over the handle. I still want to work more on the way it tucks down in the console but it's raining outside. I wish it were a little longer on the fat end but I think it works okay. I fastened it with a zip tie.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

So the Redline boots are not as "refined" or "steamlined" as the ebay boots? Can you explain further?

Quick Reply: Home Made E-brake Boot