Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Scoop color question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Ratrodder85
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Scoop color question

I've decided to go with either 10" or 12" white lemans stripes on my torch red car. I know it's cliche around here, but I've never seen one in my area and I think it's beautiful. I want a small scoop (probably GT) should I paint it Red to match the car and just run the stripes under it?
Also would I be better off to apply the stripes then the scoop, or install the scoop, remove it, apply stripes, then reinstall the scoop?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
BadS197
Banned

I would match the hood scoop to the stripe... I think it looks better.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Tough call. I can tell you that the two color sceme is very polarizing... people seem to either love the look or hate it. I am not sure that red and black would look good... I think black looks good with silver and white. Other colors that get darker don't look as good I think.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

My personal opinion is match the scoop to the paint color (who woulda thunk...since that's what I did LOL) but if you go black I'd say you'd definitely have to carry that through the spoiler, maybe a black honeycomb trunk piece and then ideally black rims too. You wouldn't have to stripe it to carry the theme throughout...it's up to you.

I've read enough now about vinyl stripes that I'm definitely not going to get them. Too many issues with fading, spots, bunching up around the hood scoop, etc. Not worth the hassle to me and plenty of other mods just waiting for me to spend my money on

ETA: Since you said yours was redfire, here's a closer-up pic of my redfire with the GT scoop painted body color.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ratrodder85

I've decided to go with either 10" or 12" white lemans stripes on my torch red car. I know it's cliche around here, but I've never seen one in my area and I think it's beautiful. I want a small scoop (probably GT) should I paint it Red to match the car and just run the stripes under it?
Also would I be better off to apply the stripes then the scoop, or install the scoop, remove it, apply stripes, then reinstall the scoop?
I have the GT hood scoop, too. When I got my car striped, they removed the scoop, striped the entire hood (including underneath the scoop), striped the scoop separately (took them almost two hours and was the hardest part of the car to stripe), then placed it back on. Remember that this particular scoop is drilled into your hood with screws and then has multiple clips that clip into other drilled holes. Takingit off can break the clips if you're not careful, or at least damage them to some extent. And yes, if you use vinyl it does bunch up a little bit at the corners of the mouth of the scoop. Ideally it would be best to go with painted stripes, but that's not a financial reality for a lot of people, myself included. In any case, color-match the scoop to your car unless you plan on getting a spoiler to match it.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

I used to work in a vinyl print shop doing full body colored wraps for vehicles. The bunching around the scoop can be overcome by a hot air gun and while applying the vinyl, MILDLY apply the heat in strokes as you would painting a vehicle with a sprayer. If you overdo it, it could A) Cause the vinyl to become brittle, B) Discolor the vinyl due to overstressing it from the heat, C) Shrink it. Just keep the air flowing about 14" or so away while you are working it over the scoop and it should be good to go without any stress marks.

Another method used without heat was cutting the very edgest 90 degrees inward at the stress areas (that wouldn't be shown) and stretching each one over the stress points. Hard to explain without a visual, but this was usually the method of choice on scoops since it gave us more control without the use of heat.

Lastly you could use a blow torch lmao (seriously) but I wouldn't recommend it for people that haven't gotten instruction on doing it. It mostly for large area wraps (such as bumper areas etc or places with more than 3-4 plains/angles).