Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Got a GT take off wing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Got a GT take off wing

Hey Irecieved a GT wing for Christmas and was trying to figure out how to take off my old wing, the 4 bolts are easy, but that tape is a PITA!? Any suggestions? I've heard fishing line but? Also I'm hoping it takes the factory V6 holes correct? And when I get it installed what's the best way of removing what's left of the tape? Thanks a lot, and Merry Christmas! Tyler
Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Got a GT take off wing

yes, fishing line and take it slow, as for the left over tape, on my old truck i used goo be gone or whatever and it came off with some elbow grease
Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallout

yes, fishing line and take it slow, as for the left over tape, on my old truck i used goo be gone or whatever and it came off with some elbow grease
What kind of fishing line would you suggest? I tried using some before I came into work tonight (work nights) and it kept breaking haha. Where can I pick up goo be gone, just about anywhere? So the holes are plug and play correct? Thanks a lot.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: StreamlineStang

What kind of fishing line would you suggest? I tried using some before I came into work tonight (work nights) and it kept breaking haha. Where can I pick up goo be gone, just about anywhere? So the holes are plug and play correct? Thanks a lot.
Plug and Pray. Correct. Do not
overtighten the nuts or the trunk
become deformed around the spoiler
mounting points. [:@]
DuPont Kevlar braided fishing line.
It kinda saws the adhesive unlike
smooth fishing line.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

smooth fishing line.
Where would I find DuPont Kevlar braided fishing line as well as Goo Be Gone? Thanks again, Tyler
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

smooth fishing line.
Where would I find DuPont Kevlar braided fishing line as well as Goo Be Gone? Thanks again, Tyler
Goo Gone can be found in any Wal-Mart or even Dollar Stores. You may find that fishing line too at Wal-Mart. If not, try a sporting store.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Wal-Mart for both items.
Goo gone and braided fishing line.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

I went to Walmart on my way into work tonight and bought some Goo Gone...but it says "could be harmful to some car paints" or something like that. And of course they had no braided fishing line so I guess I'll just have to muscle through it with some regular stuff. [:'(]
Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Well... usually if you go to a paint shop, they have stuff specifically for removing gunk on paint. Adhesive remover is generally what you'd call it without a brand name. I'd rather go that route than get something that isn't really meant specifically for use on vehicles. In the vinyl business, i've used everything from wd-40 to adhesive pro-grade remover (Which is just a fancy name for stronger stuff). The best and cheapest I have found was at the local paint store. It is useable on all car paint surfaces and clear coat safe. Don't use a regular towel or a napkin because you'd get swirlies all over... Use the remover and a rubber squeegie (nothing with hard edges) or you could use a very soft towel (closest you can to microfiber if you don't want to waste your good micro) and gently work it off. If you bought the good stuff, the adhesive turns to almost a silocone like gel and it can just about even wash off.

I've never taken off a spoiler before, but we had to take off a hood scoop on a mustang to put stripes on it (and stripe the hood scoop seperately). Hood scoop was a bit easier :P We just used a bit of our plastic squeegies to get it started and then SLOWLY work it off (as they stated). Patience is the key here for not damaging the surface of the car, the part, or worst case as I have seen a customer that came to us with paint ripped right off (factory paint ripped off) from the 3m tape.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

So you're saying not to use the Goo Gone or what do you suggest?

Quick Reply: Got a GT take off wing