Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Orange Peal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Default Orange Peal?

OK guys I just got my car back today and it looks pretty good. I noticed what I thought was a defect in the paint. The Ford Dealership Body Shop Manager told me that the effect is called “Orange Peal” and it is common in new paint. She said that new cars coming off the line will have the same effect. She said they will give it a good buffing and that will bring it out.

I never noticed this in the paint before and I consider myself to have a good attention to detail. My question to all of you is she correct with this term “Orange Peal” and is it as common as she states. The effect looks like an orange peal with little divots all over. I’m not happy with it at all and I know I can make them do it all over again. I just want to know if she is shooting me a line or is this an actual paint effect.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Orange Peal?

I'd call a local auto body repair shop (or Maaco.. almost everyone has one in their city.. I think..lol)
Even if she IS making it up.. they have to fix it under warranty right? So whats the problem? You get a free exterior touchup.. and you can send it back as many times as you want assuming its not fixed..

I've never heard of it.. but I know my dealership fixed my paint when they jacked it up.. (it just wasnt "orange peel"..)

Good Luck
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Fred,

Icalled MAACO the closest one to me is almost 2 hours away, but he told me that the dealership just didn't wet sand and buff after their work. Just goes to show you that there are very few craftsmen anymore. At one time a autobody painter took pride inhis or herwork. Today it is just a numbers game and how fast you can get a car in and out to make as much money as possable.

Thanks for the sugestion, I had never heard of MACCO before.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Epimetheus

Thanks Fred,

Icalled MAACO the closest one to me is almost 2 hours away, but he told me that the dealership just didn't wet sand and buff after their work. Just goes to show you that there are very few craftsmen anymore. At one time a autobody painter took pride inhis or herwork. Today it is just a numbers game and how fast you can get a car in and out to make as much money as possable.

I know how you feel man.. everything is cheap plastic and there is no craftsmanship. [:'(]

Funny you should say that you've never heard of MAACO before, because before coming to the forums neither had I..lol.

Glad to have helped.

FM
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fred Malibu

ORIGINAL: Epimetheus

Thanks Fred,

I know how you feel man.. everything is cheap plastic and there is no craftsmanship. [:'(]

Funny you should say that you've never heard of MAACO before, because before coming to the forums neither had I..lol.

Glad to have helped.

FM
Here's a tip about Maaco: Don't EVER get anything painted there. The prices are cheap as sh-t and you get what you pay for.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Orange peel happens usually after the base coat and during the clearcoat process (esp from factory). 9 times out of 10 it is because the clearcoat was applied to heavy and it forms the appearance of "orange peel" usually on the sides of the car or panels that dry vertically. Most have just accepted it as normal from the factory and the best way to get it out is wet sand and buff it. If the whole car has it and you dont use it for show and she shines nicely just put up with it. IMO you dont want a paint job that is part orange peel and part smooth as glass because when light reflects off the car the paints appearance wont be even and symetrical. I know show car ownersthat get their cars buffed for show and the whole car is wetsanded and buffed and it can take a very long time (60+ hrs) and is very expensive to have a shop do it but to each his own and the result is amazing! I would not consider it a paint "affect" more like a "defect" and if the rest of the car has none (which is possible from the factory) I would have them correct it. Really not necessary to repaint but wetsanding will get it out! Most people never notice it and sometimes it is so subtle that unless it is pointed out to you -you never know it is there. Its funny to because it appears that many car show judges dont mark the car down a notch anymore for orange peel and the public as a whole just accepts it which I would not and have refused a new car just because it has orange peel. Hope it helps- J
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

-1 for orange peel in general

Whenever I do something with paint, it's gotta be done right, smooth as glass and so good it can be licked... esp. with candy colors lmao.

Wet sanding a car / buffing / polishing isn't too big of a thing. I'd go for it if my car was a dark color where you could see orange peel a bit more.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

I did in fact just get it back for the Ford Dealer body shop. I was T-boned when a driver ran the red light. The whole left side had to be replaced and that is where the OP is most noticeable. I had the car Simonized when it was delivered to the dealership when I bought it and the entire car had that glossy finish. The OP on the repair work was the first thing I noticed. The manager tried to find other examples of OP on the car finally pointing out a small section on the B pillar on the drivers side. That is when she told me that most cars coming off the line have OP.

My concern is that the car did not have any OP at all that I noticed like "mygt500" stated. The parts that were untouched do not have OP but the entire work that was done has OP. The dealership guarantees their work for life of the car so I plan on them doing it until I'm satisfied. I told them from the beginning that I am very picky about my car and I have a good attention to detail. So if they can not get the car back to its original condition then they just need to total it out and get me a new one. The manager said not only will they get it back to its original condition they will make it better for whatever that means.

Already I have noticed a scratch on the spoiler that was not there, a punch in the back of the passenger seat, my key fob will not pop the trunk, and when they were reinstalling the trunk liner they ripped out my wiring to my sequential turn signals.

Like I said before; there is no such thing as craftsmanship anymore.

Thanks guys and looking forward to seeing if I’m on the right track, or is it a loosing battle.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Dang, sounds like you got hosed by the repair people! I'd definitely go back, point out all the things you just stated and get it all fixed right!

I'd be ticked if my car didn't come back smooth as glass from the body shop. When mine came home after getting a new door and new paint on the whole driver side I ran my hand over every single inch that was painted to make sure it was as smooth as the rest of the car from the factory. There ARE still a FEW craftsmen out there, just gotta find the right shops!