Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

help changing bulb in fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help changing bulb in fog lights

well, i got it done. horrible pain in the *** job for just changing a light bulb. popped the grill out because there was not a chance that you could have just bent it forward like they tel you in the manual.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Well Devil wolf, my project will be delayed due to Mother Nature and her black ice, although I can say that the grill is a lot more accessible now. I was heading to work this morning and I hit some ice in the road and I fish tailed slightly clockwise which caused my front right tire to drop off the road. I wouldn’t have any damage at all if it wasn’t for one of those pesky “speed zone ahead” signs. It disemboweled my front bumper and radiator when the sign snapped off. The car is not drivable at the time but it should be back on the road soon. Just waiting for the body shop to return to work on Monday. No injuries to report I was driving under 45 MPH and like everyone has stated before, this car is built like a tank.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

wow sorry to hear, Epimetheus. i guess the important thing is that you were not hurt, but if any harm fell upon my stang i would be devastated beyond belief.

the streets are terrible where i live so i drive like a grandmother (no offense to any grandmothers [&:]) when i have to be out on the road.

anyways, like you said, the grill should be pretty easy to get to now so you could at least save yourself the hassle of having to change these the way i had to do it.

are you going to get a different style bumper now?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

I would love to now that the whole thing has to be replaced,I just want to keep my PP grill. I searching right now for a front bumper that will allow me to keep the PP Grill. If you know of any hit me up.

Thanks for the concern.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

well, i got it done. horrible pain in the *** job for just changing a light bulb. popped the grill out because there was not a chance that you could have just bent it forward like they tel you in the manual.
That is why I never use my fog lamps and besides, is annoyance to oncoming and sometimes those you are behind. Never understood why people have to have them on other than for thinking it is cool. For fog lamps to be truly effective in FOG, they should be mounted as low as possible in the bumper[close to the road].

Mycar was a week old when discovered the main head lamps stunk for visibility. I changed the bulfs out with Sylvania whiteswhich made a huge difference tofront and side vision.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Well Teetertotter I see your point with having the fog lights as low to the ground as possible. In our case I have found the fog lights to be very effective on multiple situations. Weather it was driving through low fog in a large lake area or driving through the mountains. My only assumption is that the angle of reflection from the bulb is what makes them effective. Not to argue your point about mounting; I would agree with that, I just know that they are effective in dense fog for long periods of driving.

As far as your statement about the annoyance to oncoming or following traffic. I have seen several mustangs both GT and Pony Package approaching me and it as if it was some sort of brotherhood passing me by and I have never been blinded by a mustang with its fog light on.

The main head lamps in my opinion are great for visibility and I have had no trouble seeing with them at all. I’m not sure which Sylvania bulbs you purchased but you did mention that they were white lights. I do know that Sylvania’s SilverStar Ultra is there best “White” light bulb and provides wider illumination of the road as well as distance as you described.

My question to you is that I understand how you may be annoyed with people driving around with there fog lights on and I understand that especially if someone has poor vision or poor night vision rather. If someone needed more light to see the road at night due to poor vision they would also be blinded by additional light coming at them.

What I don’t understand is that if you have an issue with someone who drives around with their fog lights on using them for additional illumination at the expense of everyone else, why would you purchase a driving bulb that is brighter and covering more area and reaches further distances. I would think this would have the same negative effect on the other drivers on the road as well. Of course driving with your fog lights on and the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra’s 100% are legal in my state.

I think I will just keep my Ultra violet fog light bulbs for the coolness factor and get HIDs for the illumination.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to update everyone with some pics. The weather is still pretty bad around here and I desperately need a good wash but here they are.

Thanks for the help guys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/84532/97702AE4B91F4418BEED11D9A27E6427.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/84532/7EDCDD03EF484005BEA01F9200629BC5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Fogs mounted low get the light under the fog
and illuminating the road surface anddont
illuminatethe fog thats in the air in front of
the vehicle blinding you when you just use
high mounted headlights.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

^^^^............................apply a liberal amount of antibiotic ointment to scrapes on wrists and lower forearms.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...[sm=funnypostabove.gif]