Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hood?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 AM
ruger3.5
1st Gear Member

Default Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hood?

I already have rims, GT bumper, duals, so Im thinking of either going with a CAI/tuner or a new hood. My cousin works aat a bodyshop and reccommended that I not use a fiberglass hood because they are really hard to blend with the car. I have the Tungsten Gray color. I was wondering if anyone has had the problem of blending in their hood, and how much the paint on the fiberglass hood usually runs. Anyone out there have a carbon fiber hood because that is my other option. I really like the hood pin look so I'm leaning Carbon Fiber because you have to put them, but the CF selection is limited. Any help is appreciated. Please post pics.

P.S. Do you guys think carbon fiber would look good with my car? If it helps im putting halos and probably black corner lights on the bumpers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/89392/CF7E2D26F9304111B90E9A99D71AB92F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hood?

with your color i think u could make carbon fiber work, and make it look good. i like carbon fiber personally...in small doses. i think if u got the good and the mirror covers to go with it youcould get a nice theme going. especially cuz ur cars color is close to that of carbon fiber. next u could get the TI intake with the CF option.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

i wouldnt go fiberglass cause it gets stress cracks relatively easy. my dad's vette (all fiberglass) has quite a few stress cracks. its old, but has low miles. I'd say that if you want something to last you should go carbon fiber.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

its 38 years old. but idk. carbonfiber looks tight too.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure, is the Tungsten more grey or brown? If grey it should work, brown maybe not.
Click above my avatar for my profile where the link to my pics gallery is.
the hood on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:WNA:MT:12

Also, a paint & body guy told me you can paint the carbon fiber with the body color so that the carbon fiber shows through, which sounds cool but I haven't seen it in person.
I went with the blacked out marker lights as well.
Regarding cracking the carbon fiber is sealed in clear gelcoat, which can crack just as it does on fiberglass.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
ruger3.5
1st Gear Member

I have the Alloy Gray, which is as close to black as you can get pretty much. Im pretty much sold on the carbon fiber now because I just bought the black projector/halo lights. Thanks for the link, Ive been trying to find as many pics as I can.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

i think rather than getting a new hood, i suggest lowering your car, getting struts, and getting bigger brakes/rotors. JMHO

Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ruger3.5

I have the Alloy Gray, which is as close to black as you can get pretty much. Im pretty much sold on the carbon fiber now because I just bought the black projector/halo lights. Thanks for the link, Ive been trying to find as many pics as I can.

That should look good then. It will be pretty stealthy as you won't notice the carbon fiber untill you get close to it.
I forgot to mention that the blending needed for those fiberglass hoods that require it will give you a nice show quality fit & finish. My hood is decent out of the box but it leans more to the race side then show side of the fit and finish spectrum. The gap at the fenders is on the wide side and there are a couple of other minor issues. There are cutouts for the wiper sprayers, which is stupid since the rise is so high they spray half way up the windshield.
Fiberglass is heavier than stock but the carbon fiber is a bout 12lbs ligher. Too bad your not more local, I'd let you try the hood on to se how you like it.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Carbon fiber hood are a better quality, since they're not designed to be painted in the first place.
Even though you can.

For people in FL and other sunny States, I strongly recomand to clear those hoods.
They will discolor and surface crack when exposed to the sun too long.
You don't have to do it right away but keep an eye on it, and as soon as you see some fading, take it to the shop.
Don't wait.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:23 PM
ruger3.5
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

i think rather than getting a new hood, i suggest lowering your car, getting struts, and getting bigger brakes/rotors. JMHO

That is in my plans, after the hood its the intake then lowering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Hood?