Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Prep and Paint time estimate for aftermarket hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
RedDot
1st Gear Member

Default Prep and Paint time estimate for aftermarket hood

Can someone explain the process of painting an aftermarket fiberglass hood?

I dropped off my car a week ago, and I stopped by the shop today. I saw my new hood on a rack, out in the sun. It looked like it was being prepped. The shop said that they hadn't fit the hood to the car yet, and it would take at least another week to complete the job.

1. When do most shops test fit new hoods? Before or after the prep work?
2. Why did I have to leave my car with the shop if they didn't need it for test fitting right away? The hood was shipped and arrived at the shop two weeks before I brought my car to them.

I have no doubt that the shop I chose does outstanding work. I've taken my truck there for accident repairs twice. I was just wonderingwhat experiences others hadwith taking thier cars in for aftermaket hood prep and paint.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Prep and Paint time estimate for aftermarket hood

The first thing you do when you get a hood is put it on the car yourself. If it's off by any measureable amount, you have to be able to send it back. Body shops can fix some stuff, but if it is warped or something it's not worth doing.

My guess is that they, like many shops, have a lot going on and would rather not deal with you when they need the car. It's easier to get the keys off the key rack than to call you to come have it fitted. It's poor service in my opinion, but it is what it is.

And no they shouldn't be doing anything with the hood until after they are fairly sure it all lines up right.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I would say the timing is about right. My car is at the body shop right now and they are working on a hood for me as well. I know they did check for fitment before prepping. Usually they will have to spray it 3 times and sand between each coat. This is where the length of time from start to finish comes. They have to allow the paint to dry before each sanding. On the last coat they will spray clearcoat.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM
RedDot
1st Gear Member

Did you check your milage at the time of drop off? I forgot too. I won't really know if they took my car out for joy rides. I can't imagine my car just sitting there for2 weeks before they even touch it to fit my hood. I suppose that's what we all live with when we take our cars to body shops though.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:58 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abrush

I would say the timing is about right. My car is at the body shop right now and they are working on a hood for me as well. I know they did check for fitment before prepping. Usually they will have to spray it 3 times and sand between each coat. This is where the length of time from start to finish comes. They have to allow the paint to dry before each sanding. On the last coat they will spray clearcoat.

Not so. There should be no sanding or even drying of the color coats themselves before clear is put on. Each color coat (there are typically 3) just has to 'flash' before the next is put on. It typically takes about 10 minutes for a coat of paint to flash. The only reason sanding of the actual paint should take place is if there is imperfections in it. Such as a bug, a hair, pinholes, runs, sags, etc. Clearcoat is a whole nother story. For best results, the clear should be allowed to dry and be sanded between coats. This is not necessary, however, so long as there are not imperfections in the clear. Now, the final coat of clear should ALWAYS be sanded and buffed to remove tiny defects and the inevitable orange peel.

As for the isue of fitment onto your car, it depends on the painter. Some people prefer to install the part first, some prefer to paint it first. I personally prefer to paint it first, as it allows for easier access to difficult areas, it's easier to move and make more consistent passes, etc. The only thing is, when it comes time for fitment, the edges will need to be taped up to prevent scratching, chipping, and other ways of damaging the paint......
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 AM
RedDot
1st Gear Member

If you paint the hood first, how can you fix warping? Specifically, how can you adjust a warped fiberglass hood if you paint it first without fitting it? Do most body shops (body repairshops) just paint delivered pieces without fitting them first?

I'm wondering if I should pay for completed work and get my hood out of the shop, then take it to a customizing specialty shop. I'll probably sacrafice quaility in the paint job, but I'm getting concerned that they may complete the paint job and then I'll be paying for a ill-fitting hood.

I'm a little hesitant on requestinga test fit (suggesting how someone should do their job). I'll have to figure out a non-threatening way of asking for it.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

If it's a fiberglass hood that has any warpage or un-uniform surfacing, it's a simple fix. A thin coat of glazing putty will do the trick. Of course, this should be done before painting.As for fitment issues, the hood should definitely be test fitted before painting. NO aftemarket hood will fit perfect. Minor adjustments at the hinges almost always fix any issues, though. When I worked at a body shop, I would ALWAYS make sure the part fit correctly before prepping for paintwork. However, test fitting, and actually installing are two different things. ANY bodyshop should make sure the parts fit correctly before painting them.

As for your particualr bodyshop, if you feel uncomfortable w/ their work, take your parts back and take them to another shop. Tell them to make sure the parts fit properly before they paint them. If they have a problem w/ it, screw 'em. Take your stuff and leave. They should not have a problem complying w/ your wishes. If so, that's not how you run a business, so they don't deserve yours. Remember man, you spent your hard-earned money on those parts and on paintwork. If they're not going to do it correctly, don't allow them to do it all. When shops like that f#ck up, they rypically don't fix their mistakes, and the customer is then stuck w/ them.

Having worked at a few differnt bodyshops, and seeing many others' work, one thing I will say when it comes to modifying a car is to ALWAYS invest in a good, reputable shop that knows what they're doing. If they charge 1,300 for something another shop will do for 1,000, but the work is quality and the other's not so much, spend the extra $300. Becuase if you don't, and they f#ck up, you're gonna far exceed that $300 dollars you saved trying to fix the mistake.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
RedDot
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your input. My hood has been test fit, and the fit is acceptable.There's about a1/4" gap on both sides. The leading edge cornersdon't match up with the fenders, but I find it acceptable. The only real issue is that there is a serious "dent" or warping at the trailing edge of the hood. There's also a minor one near the front. I'm just hoping they'll be able to make the hood appear close to what it's suppossed to look like at this point. I'll accept it however it turns out though.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post pics when I get it back in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Here's how it goes...

First thing, bold the damn thing on the car and acess the fitment issues.
If there isn'tany warpage or body lines incorrectness, then it's a good start but you're not there yet.
Most likely after that, you'll have to block it with hi-build primer and putty (usually twice)to get a straight look and pinholes/mold imperfections free.
Then and only then, it's ready for paint.

Typically, the average hood needs $200 prep work before painting, so it's not cheap.
Some fiberglass hoods need only one light coat of primer or none at all,before painting, but it's rather rare.

I did a hood a month ago that was so bad, that it took me 2 straight days to correct it[8D]. Still wasn't happy when I was done.
Those are extreme cases but it has to fall on me[:@].
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

No, I didn't check the mileage on my car. I have a good idea what it is at but I didn't feel the need since the body shop I took it to has done quite a bit of work for me in the past. I completely trust them. If you are unsure on your car I think I would take it somewhere else. Maybe someone in the area could give you some names of reputable shops???

Quick Reply: Prep and Paint time estimate for aftermarket hood