Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Took off Pony Package spoiler and found chipped paint... What can I do to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Took off Pony Package spoiler and found chipped paint... What can I do to fix it?

I swapped the standard Pony Package spoiler for the GT wing spoiler. The stockPony Package spolier was a deck lid kind, which meant it sat on top of the trunk. After taking it off to install GT spoiler, I found that the stock spolier rubbed off a bit of paint from the trunk lid where it was touching it.

It's reall only one little spot, and it's not very big, but it's still a little annoying. I boughta little can of touch up paint from the dealer, and it's supposed to be color matched, but after applying the paint, you can still see a bit of discoloration. Is there anything else I can do to fix the chip? Will the touch up paint eventually blend in with rest of the paint, or will the discoloration stay? And will the touch up paint prevent the chip from getting bigger? When I bought the paint, the guy in the part department said the paint had clearcoat mixed right into it, so hopefully that'll seal up the chip...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 AM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Took off Pony Package spoiler and found chipped paint... What can I do to fix it?

Hey man I have a chip to on my hood and ordered this langka paint chip scratch remover I should be getting it soon. Heres the website http://www.langka.com/. When I got my mustang I read post on the exact smae problem so I but some scotch 3m paddedsquares and put them in between the spoiler and the trunk isso far so good. Let us know how it turns out if you use it
Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Took off Pony Package spoiler and found chipped paint... What can I do to fix it?

Thanks for the link... This product looks promising.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Not that it will help with the damaged paint that you already have, but for others, there is a TSB that addresses this issue

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/07-06-07.pdf

FWIW, my Pony Package was built January, 2007 Job 2 and it has the foam spacers from the factory.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

Not that it will help with the damaged paint that you already have, but for others, there is a TSB that addresses this issue

FWIW, my Pony Package was built January, 2007 Job 2 and it has the foam spacers from the factory.
This TSB relates exactly to what happened to my spoiler. It even shows the foam pieces going exactly where my scratches were. Of course, like you said, it doesn't do much for me now. Because of the TSB, does this mean Ford will fix the damages that came from the problem, or is that just wishful thinking?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

This TSB relates exactly to what happened to my spoiler. It even shows the foam pieces going exactly where my scratches were. Of course, like you said, it doesn't do much for me now. Because of the TSB, does this mean Ford will fix the damages that came from the problem, or is that just wishful thinking?
I would take it back to the dealer with a copy of that TSB. They should fix it.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

I went out and looked at mine, and my spoiler did the same thing. Right on the corner at the left side of the spoiler where it wraps down.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

I don't know. But this is part of the TSB.

"WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty
coverage limits/policies are
not altered by a TSB.
Warranty coverage limits
are determined by the
identified causal part. "

Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for that TSB. I'm definitely taking it in with me when I go in for the airbag recall and make them fix mine too. I've got the same paint damage on the decklid. Guess I better plan on having to leave it for a day or two if I'm asking them to repaint the decklid. That kinda sucks.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defiance777

Hey man I have a chip to on my hood and ordered this langka paint chip scratch remover I should be getting it soon. Heres the website http://www.langka.com/. When I got my mustang I read post on the exact smae problem so I but some scotch 3m paddedsquares and put them in between the spoiler and the trunk isso far so good. Let us know how it turns out if you use it
I've thought about purchasing that product a few times, please update with the results when you have repaired your paint! I'm really curious to see the non-manufaturer advertisement results.

Edit: Just did a review on the Langka system, google yields a good amount of results. Looks like alot of people had success using the Langka. It seems like the drawback with any sort of metallic silver/alloy/gold finishes, is the properties of the mixture in the paint. Apparently the microscopic reflective flakes in the paint settle toward the edges of the touch up, causing the perimeter of the touch up paint to look slightly darker than the middle. I'm sure that is really only visible on large chips or scratches though.
I think I'm gonna order that system when I get my check on Friday.

Quick Reply: Took off Pony Package spoiler and found chipped paint... What can I do to fix it?