Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 AM
spughdog

Default RE: Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT

07Mustang3:73

Hey man! Thanks for the extra insight on the dealer. I completely agree with your assessment about the GM just being in it for the money. I never worked in the business, but my Dad was a finance manager with Ford for about 20 years in the 80s and 90s.

I think I like your suggestion to just buy a pre-made car. That would take the dealer mark-up on add ons out of the equation, right? I think I would be happy with (and could afford) a Stage 1 Roush convertible. But I need to be empowered with information before I discuss it with a dealer. I mean, a dealer could tell me that a Stage 1 runs $45K and I wouldn't have any idea how much mark-up is in that price. What I need is a grounded assessment/estimate of what a Stage 1 convertible should go for. Do you have any idea??? Just a figure that I can take to the dealer and not bend on?? Any chance I could get one for $38K?

Thanks again!!!!

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

was it richmond ford? i think that's what the name was....i live in NY but i went to roushperf.com and found them as a certified roush dealer. they have a massive mustang inventory but was hard for me to sift through them. the pictures were all generic mustang pics and the descriptions don't specify roush or not....in fact the only ones that do differentiate say shelby....or i can see they are roush's BUT they are special roush's....like the white roush with orange stripes....it is a speedster roush....has special suede seats....lotsa money! it really is hard for me to help from here...best thing i can say is go to the lot, and drive to many different ones.....observe sticker prices and when the salesman says may i help you tell him to bug off....or well no just looking...if you want to be nice...i did it on lunch breaks or before/after trips to the gym.

I did however see premium GT's for sale, convertibles for 34k.....if you spec a stang out on ford.com they range from base PREMIUM....the best you get without jumping into shelby, roush, or saleen...up to....36850.00 for a california special ( still considered a normal GT just a little rarer) with interior upgrade, dove/ivory interior, 3.55 gears, alarm, and comfort group (heated seats). say you go for the high model i speced out....some guys may say you can get it for 30k. I'm gonna say more like 34k unless you are a smooth talker, or you have a family member who works with ford and wants to hit you with there x-plan code which allows you to buy the car for inventroy cost or less....inventory is probably 33k on that car i speced...remember these are all assumptions that i make. Now say you are lucky enough to find a car for 41k, they will probably drop the price to 39.5 not flinching so your like wow i got a deal...you should be able to get 38k. if 38k is your number...go in there and tell them 35 is all you got and you really want the car or make up some sob story....if you got a fizat down payment you can use maybe you can aim for a 45k car...and bring it down to 38k? just a few suggestions.

i know for a fact i saw 2007 roush mustangs convertibles out here on long island for 41k, no reason the salesman wouldn't go 38. they were new at that just left over....which ='s more bargain power seeing as how they have had it there hogging up space for a new one.

i wish you best of luck bud, the best thing you can do is drive around to four or five dealers and see what they have. i had gone to three of four myself...and gotten quotes from two of them... after beating them up they had both given me the same quote within a hundred dollars, and showed me invoice.....my car was a 31k car, got offered 29250...invoice was 27500. but i ordered it....they said if it was off the lot i woulda gotten lower but you know.....i'ts worth the 1750 erwhatever it is more to me to see it come from factory with .2 miles on it and the window sticker saying this mustang built for jonnystang08! lol....maybe i'm just sick in the head...lol[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
spughdog

Yes, Richmond Ford is the only Roush certified dealer near me (I live in Richmond VA). They've got about 5 Roush's (all 427R) on the lot, but none of them are convertible. The base price on the sticker is like $28K and then there are $21K in Roush upgrades which brings the price to $49K. That's about $10K higher than I want to spend. Of course, I would settle for a Stage 1 which should be about $10K less, right?

How does one find out what a Roush Stage 1 convertible goes for and what the absolute minimum would be? Seems like you would need to know that information before stepping on the car lot so they can't talk you into paying more than the car is worth. In other words, is it reasonable to demand that they sell me a Stage 1 convertible for say $38K? Should I aim lower? Or would they laugh at me when I say all I'm gonna pay is $38K? (They'll probably laugh at me anyway since dealers are predators who try every tactic in the book to hook you, including insults and be-littling).

I can't get ANY dealers to respond to an email either. They don't wanna discuss it unless they have you sitting in their office where they think they can pull a number on you. I'm losing faith in my ability to endure this car buying process. The moreI read about the tactics that dealers play, the more I just wanna avoid the situation completely, ya know?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Have you tried searching for Roush Roadsters?

I agree it will be easier to take a GT Vert and mod it yourself. I liked the Steeda Q and "borrowed" a few ideas for my car.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
spughdog

Hey!

Believe it or not, that's the first time I ever serached for "Roush Roadsters". Thanks for the tip! I really liked the pics of it on the Roushperf site. Looked a lot like your car!! At $13K for the Roush mods, that means it would cost be 28K+13K which is about $41K. Is there any way to negotiate that down? Orare the Roush mods not negotiable?

Steve
Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Call beach ford in Va beach. they are not that far away from you! if you search there inventory the rouschs do not appear but I know they have a few. Mostly 427 , I did not see a vert, but wasn't really looking for one at the time. If you find one at any other dealership sometimes they can trade so that your richmond ford dealer gets it.get your price from a couple other rousch dealers and see who wants to deal with you. Finding a rousch vert will be tricky and most dealers will not want to deal with the price becuase they are still in high demand. Being a specialty car.The rousch would hold a value a little better if your were going to garage it. But otherwise You could do a lot with the extra money above sticker to customize it. sad thing is if you get bit by the mod bug 38k is just the begining.
ebay has a couple on right now but 1 is 40 k and the other is a black jack vert at 70k
good luck hope you get what you want, for what you want to pay.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 07Mustang3:73

A few things about the request. At that price point you could go with a Shelby GT Conv. It already has the stripes, rims and scoop (Non Functional) that you mentioned. It also comes with the 500 sound system. The plus would be that after a few years it will be worth more than a GT that has been modified. Keep that in mind.

Everything that is done to New mustangs actually brings down value. It helps us to enjoy the vehicle but you will never get the money out of the car that you put in. $38000 is really a loaded out 08 GT Vert.

At this point all you really have to is to pick the color.

BTW: Do you plan to order it or just take one from dealer stock. If you order you lose all your negotiation room. If you find one that is on the lot you can really get the price down alot. I bought my 07 GT Deluxe last year in May for $7000 off MSRP. My out the door price was $22500.

Just food for thought.
38K for a shelby GT500 vert!?! Yeahhhhh...More like 40-45K plus tax license and doc fees so 45-50K. That and depending on the region (Like here in AZ) good luck finding a Shelby Vert without a premium just because it's almost always sunny here.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

honestly what i think i would do then since they seem to have mainly 427's on the lot is stay away from specialty cars.

price out a 08 convertible GT on WWW.FORD.COM

just so you can see what options you can get and what you want...don't even think about appearnaces yet. if it isn't on that website, UNLESS dealer has other services...not typically, you probably can't get it from factory that way.

premium is just a deluxe mustang (as far as i know) with mach 500 audio as STANDARD equipment as well as leather being standard.

A really nice convertible will be 35kish on there...they usually drop the price down to around 33-34 for something like that right away to make you think your getting a deal. the most i have squeezed out there after is 500-1000 but new yorkers are tough to barter with since we have that tough guy appearance to maintain lol

then after you get that price down as far as you can....tell him 31k is the most you want to spend....and try not to budge...if ya do just make sure your happy with the deal...get a bad vibe walk out and go to the next dealer....going with a non-specialty mustang makes bartering easier for you.

you know you like the roush front fascia and spoiler....probably the rear spoiler, louvers, and hood scoop....you can get the kit for 1200.00 at stage3performance.com.

paint....could be between 800-1200 to paint and install...not sure what they charge out buy you.....so there ya have it! car......estimations 34k car...1200 in body mods 1200 in body work...
appx 36400 before taxes....and i think your lucky in VA you don't have those. so you can be a happy camper!

dont get discouraged....look at it this way...your just researching a future investment in fun and excitement...just gotta make sure you get it right...like women!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
spughdog

OK...would like to get everyone's opinion on something. What if, as Jonny suggested, I buy a convertible GT premium for somewhere around $31K and then pay extra to do the Roush mods? Here is a website where I found the body kit for Roush mods for $1900 (full kit). The dealer here in Richmondcan do the Roush mods too before they sell me the car. Add another $900 for painting and lets say another $1000 to install the parts. That means I could havea GT that looks exactly like a Stage 1 Roush for about $35K. OK...great....now here is my question that I want your opinion on....

Would anyone be able to tell that my Mustang is not really a Roush? Would it even matter? Or would it really be considered a Roush given the fact that it would have all the Roush body kit parts? I don't wanna get stuck with something that everyone would consider a "faker". What do you guys think? Would you consider me a "faker"?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Don't forge the signature on the dash. That is taking the poser too far!

(and you can skip the hood scoop too)

Quick Reply: Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT