Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
spughdog

Default Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT

Hey guys,

This is my first post. I'm in the market for a brand new GT and I'm looking for an expert to help me "spec out" my new car. Bottom line is, I don't trust the dealers to help me make smart and informed decisions. They are in it for the sale and most of them aren't Mustang experts, although they pretend to be.

First, I'll admit I'm not an expert. That's why I need your help. I can list down the things I know I like. Then I need someone's expert opinion on whether or not what I like is even feasible and what other things I ought to consider that I'm not thinking about.

So here is some information to get started:

1. My spending limit is $38K.
2. I want a GT convertible.
3. I like hood scoops (functional or non-functional) and I REALLY like the way a Roush front end looks on a Mustang.
4. I like the racing stripe on the hood and trunk.
5. I don't really care about any other stripes, unless someone can give me some idea of what a GT would look like with Boss stickers on it...I think I might like that.
6. I like 17 or 18 inch polished chrome wheels.

I can figure out the interior and sound myself. What I really need help with is exterior appearance (what might I be forgetting) and motor/exhaust related stuff. I'm looking to take an ordinary GT and enhance it into a unique and sleek specimen.

Please respond to me if you consider yourself an expert and have the time to help me think this through. I really appreciate your help!!!

Sincerely,

Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default RE: Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT

Check out some of the sponsors on this site.

Also check out the Tire Rack website and Cervini's for possible body parts (hoods etc.) there are others as well.
Baltimorestreetmods.com also has good stripe selections.

Losts of aftermarket parts for our stangs and the sponsors of this site have alot of good stuff for you to check out.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
GRABBER CS
3rd Gear Member

You can get a california special conv. since it has a different front and rear bumpers. Or get a base gt conv with all the interior options you want and search until you find the body parts you want. ponybuilder.com is always fun.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

A few things about the request. At that price point you could go with a Shelby GT Conv. It already has the stripes, rims and scoop (Non Functional) that you mentioned. It also comes with the 500 sound system. The plus would be that after a few years it will be worth more than a GT that has been modified. Keep that in mind.

Everything that is done to New mustangs actually brings down value. It helps us to enjoy the vehicle but you will never get the money out of the car that you put in. $38000 is really a loaded out 08 GT Vert.

At this point all you really have to is to pick the color.

BTW: Do you plan to order it or just take one from dealer stock. If you order you lose all your negotiation room. If you find one that is on the lot you can really get the price down alot. I bought my 07 GT Deluxe last year in May for $7000 off MSRP. My out the door price was $22500.

Just food for thought.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Not an expert but check out some web sites like cardomain.com for pictures ofthe newer mustangs . Do the search for 05-08 mustangs that will help show you some. I dont know if rouch makes the 427/428 in vert but it has everything you mentioned and more. Like 07:mustang373 above stated 22.5 to 26 fot a loaded gt hardtop.
good luck. there are a lot of options out there. Lots and Lots of add ons out there but a lot of people would love to supercharge or turbo charge theres and you can do it with that price tag.

welcome to the mustangforums and enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
spughdog

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback so far!! I'll definitely check the websites you mentioned. You guys are really making it sound like for $38K I can get quite the car. Of course, I really like the Roush, but its way out of my price range.

There is a dealer here in Richmond who will do any custom body-work to the Mustang before I buy it and still warrant the work as if it came from the factory that way. That being said, i think I'm leaning towards NOT doing any AFTER purchase body work. I want to be able to clearly articulate to that dealer EXACTLY what I want and have them go do it. They likely won't order it. They will find the color and style somewhere at another dealer here in Virginia, bring it to their place, oder the parts, and then do the work before selling it to me.

Can anyone suggest specific customizations that I should seek to do? Again, I want a front end that looks similar to the Roush in that it doesn't look like a plain GT. I need a rear end spoiler that goes with the front end. And if there is room in the budget to supercharge anything and somehow get more than 300HP, please give me specifics on what exactly to ask for.

Botttom line is I know what I like when I see it, but if this car is going to be unique then I'm never gonna see it. So I need to be able to clearly articulate to the dealer what I want. That's where I need your help!!!

Thanks again for all the great feedback...keep it coming!

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

you like roush stuff so maybe look into a roush certified dealer....roush comes in three levels

stage 1....strictly appearance...
stage 2 appearance and suspension
stage 3 the whole shabang!....appearance suspension....and supercharged!

i have been car shopping the past year....finally ordered an 08 hard top GT black, prem, int. upgrade....18"pol alum wheels...3.55 gears (extra seat of the pants feels) comfort group ( heated seats for the cold winters) and a few other little things.

I believe i saw the sticker on a stage 1 roush convertible for 41k, no reason you can't get them down to 38k or less...and if you get a left over 07( if your lucky) maybe get for even less.

kind of limited if you don't want to to any aftermarket type modifications or let the dealer mod there.

out here there is a dealership that will send the car out as soon as it comes in to outsource the mods you want.....long island new york.

if you don't want a stock GT your options with the looks your saying are , since these are the ford options:

California Special
Roush Stage 1 ( less you want to spend the buck for the higher stages)
Shelby GT-R (looks like a cali special practically)
Any cars the dealer had done up for sale...(out here they have make shift boss' with functional ram air hoods....they get the cars on the lot basic and outsource it then mark the price up 10k.)
Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM
spughdog

Thanks, Jonny! Congrats on the new car!

I'm definitely OK with having the dealer make the mods pre-sale. And this dealer (Richmond Ford) will do that. Basically whatever I want they will do. They are also Roush certified. The problem I'm having is I don't really know everything to tell them. I know what I like, but I don't know what I'm not thinking of...mainly because I don't buy a new Mustang every day and haven't been researching it for that long.

If the salesman isn't very experienced, he's likely to NOT ask me a key question or suggest a particualr non-standard option. A dealer relies on the purchaser to be specific about what he wants, but the purchaser relies on the dealer to be specific about all the options (even the non-standard options). Its kinda a Catch22. And its deinitely the reason I've bene driving the same pick up for 10 years. I just don't like dealing with car dealers .

Anyway, any help you can provide is apppreciated!!

Steve
Old 03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

First thing to do is to look through the web and narrow down exactly what you like in a Mustang. Do you want the power, Suspension Upgrades or both. Do you want a new hood, new headlight look, new front bumper cover, Rear bumper cover etc.

Next, most dealers will do what ever it takes to sell you the car. Just remember that if you work these items into the purchase you will be paying a premium that you could otherwise save by doing it aftermarket after purchase. When the sales dept sees that you want to only spend $38K on the car, they will make sure that when they send it out to have things done they get their kickback as well. I work at a dealership and will tell you that the GM of most dealers is only interested in your money. The more they sell the car for the more the commision is that they will get. Most shops will put on a good front but the facts are the facts. Another piece of advice to remember is to go into the dealer with your financing in order. DO NOT use the dealer to figure out the numbers. You WILL pay more if you do this. The way to negotiate is to find out exactly how much the cost of the car is then negotiate up from there. Forget the way they do all the business. I have been to the Road to the Sale training and believe me, most people get suckered into paying more than they should and the dealer walks out fat and happy.

So my point is that Decide what you want, or buy a premade car like a Shelby GT and Roush Stage 1, 2 or 3 and forget about the aftermarket stuff from the dealer, you will only be disappointed. No one will build your car, take care of your car or watch out for your bottom line better than you.

That all being said, Good luck with your purchase and Post pics when you have what you want.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

well then if your ok with the dealer getting the parts i recommend this:

have them order the roush front fascia (and its complementing chin spoiler which makes it look more aggressive...)
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=536

should be a part number on there for you...think its 401422 but you can brouse www.roushperf.com
and maybe you can find something you like...

seeing as they are roush certified and you know you like that bumper tell them you want the roush front fascia and chin spoiler for it....if you don't care about the rest of the hoots and whistles of a roush it is what i would do.

then there is always http://www.stage3motorsports.com/ for a large assortment of stuff...

www.cervinis.com specializes in aftermarket mods for mustangs primarily...they have some ricer stuff to though....[:'(]

they have there B2 Shaker hood if you want functional ram air
there are other cheaper brands but i have yet to hear a cervinis complaint...most body shop guys are amazed at the quality.
CDC has a shaker hood as well.

if you want to research a little yourself i recomend cervinis.com stage3motorsports.com and lmperformance.com

you can do the add on scoops ie the roush one but in my opinion thats like just tacking it on or settling when you wanted something else.

if i could when i'm done modding my 08 i would fiberglass the whole thing to perfection so that you saw no seems besides the necessary and sharpen up the angles, i won't though.... expensive and i wouldn't want to drive the car after....as is i am gonna be scared to scratch it lol but i am still gonna have a butt load of fun...[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: Need Help "Spec-ing Out" 2008 Mustang GT