Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

WINDOW LOUVERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
tennantgt

Default WINDOW LOUVERS

I just got my window louvers last week, and i'm waiting for some warm weather cause I live in an apartment. The Direction say the window temp must be between 60 and 80, and it must sit for 24 hours. Surely the glass temp doesn't have to remain atleast 60 for 24 hours? an afternoon in the sun should do right? Any Suggestions?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default RE: WINDOW LOUVERS

Which louvers did you get?
Do they stick on the glass or on the body of the car?

This will help for getting you advice.

If they stick on the body you want the car to be warm. That is for sure.
You also want to make sure it is CLEAN and that no dirt or left over wax is there from your last detail job.
Going over the surface area where you will stick it with alcohol is a good idea.

Trust me you want to make sure you do this right.
On my first install I thought I had the car cleaned off good... did everything..
and the tape ended up coming off some and I had a louver fly down the street after a month and had to order a new one.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless you can get the 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol, I suggest you go to an autoparts store and get a stripper made for surface preparation. Lower than 90% and you risk leaving some of the alcohol's "constituents" on the glass or body which will weaken the bond.

As far as temperature, I believe the temperature at application is most critical. The 24 hours is the cure time during which you don't want to disturb the louver (wind, vibration, etc.). That cure time could be longer with cooler temperatures but I doubt there'd be any problem if your temps dipped below 60 while curing and you gave it a good 24 hours until you drove it.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
case ace
1st Gear Member

I have mine (Cervini's), painted and ready to install also - the problem I've noticed is the "bowing" of the window scoops. Having to put the front of the scoop to the window first, then slowly press and apply toward the back, while still keeping it lined up within approx 1/16", appears nearly impossible. That means the first touch of the tape at the front end would have to be perfect. This is the worst install application I have ever seen. Anyone have any experience and/or tips on these?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
BobbyRay

^
Get a friend to hold the scoop up to the window the way you want and try marking some reference points on your car/window and scoop (chalk, tape, whatever works).
Goodluck!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
case ace
1st Gear Member

Yes, that's their advice, however, they just don't get the picture completely....once the FRONT of the scoop touches the window, that's it. No matter where your template lines are located, the front is what touches first, and there is no moving or rearranging it after that. However the rest of it lays is already pre-determined. VERY poor design.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If I recall, when I installed my quarter window louvers, I aligned them along the top instead of the side toward the front since the top has a longer line, logically made more sense than the sideand visually seemed easier to line up before making contact to the glass. I was pretty nervous but both sides went on as well if not better than I had expected.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM
case ace
1st Gear Member

Hi Nuke, Yes that makes sense, but, the problem is that the pieces are bowed out on the long bottom leg - away from the car. This is why they recommend putting them on from the front, while holding the back away from the car. If you put the top on first, I don't know hgow you would get the bow out.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A few deep breaths just before you attach them...?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
tennantgt

Ok, I lined them up, made some reference points and just went for it. It was warm that day and night so i think they set nicely. Pics to follow.

Quick Reply: WINDOW LOUVERS