MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section-122/)
-   -   GT Rear Bumper - That Black Plastic Piece Inside (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/422403-gt-rear-bumper-that-black-plastic-piece-inside.html)

LX200 03-21-2008 10:45 AM

GT Rear Bumper - That Black Plastic Piece Inside

For those who have changed out the to the GT rear bumper.... you know that black plastic piece that is riveted in on the V6 bumper, and you have to remove it and re-rivet it into the GT bumper (or use nuts)..... anybody know if this part can be bought? Or is it part of the bumper when you buy that? I broke off one of the black plastic pegs on the end, and if it was cheap, I was going to order one.

I found a blowup drawing of the rear bumper, but it does not show the inside of the bumper, so this part can't be seen, and it does not appear to have a number. I am guessing is come already riveted to the bumper, so I am screwed, I can't buy one.

ODDYSEY 03-21-2008 11:00 AM

RE: GT Rear Bumper - That Black Plastic Piece Inside

The part attached to the bumper not the light right?

LX200 03-21-2008 11:09 AM

I am talking about the long black plastic piece that runs almost the entire width of the rear bumper, holds the four bolts that help hold the bumper on, and are riveted to the bumper when you take your V6 bumper off. The wires for the side lights have fasteners that connect to it. Not sure which piece you are talking about...

BTW... did you put your 3.73's in your 7.5 rear, or did you upgrade to an 8.8 ?? If the 7.5, how much was the gears and TLok?

ODDYSEY 03-21-2008 11:18 AM

I know what part you are talking about now. I was thinking you were talking about the piece that holds the lights in.

I put the 3.73's and tlok in my 7.5, because I have an auto and dont take hard launches at the track. It cost me $700 for parts, labor and tax.

Mr. L 03-21-2008 11:30 AM

I which part your talking about LX200 - this is what I did:

Since I couldn't remove the bolts that attached that plastic part to the bumper, I simply removed it by forcing it out with a flat head screw-driver. Once I got it removed, you'll notice that the those small screw are still attached to that plastic piece - instead of trying to remove them what I did was drilled holes in between those and used simple nuts/bolts to attach to the GT bumper. I hope this helps.

LX200 03-22-2008 09:23 PM

Thanks.. but I still wanted to know if anybody knew if you could order this piece....

pascal 03-22-2008 09:27 PM

Yes it can be bought.
It's called the bumper bracket[&:]. Some bracket eh?

LX200 03-22-2008 09:29 PM

Any idea where I can get the part number ?? I am figuring if I call a ford dealer, they will be like.... "duh"....

Is that a 67 Cougar in your avatar? My first car was a 67 white Cougar with red leather.... 289 in, auto. I loved that car. It's one of the reasons I bought the Mustang... when I sat in it, it was like a wayback machine... made me think of my old Cougar.....