Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

tail light bulb replacment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

Default tail light bulb replacment...

one of my bulbs on my passenger's side tail light is out now. and when i went back there to look on how to replace it... well ford makes its a lil tough to do considering tht it looks lik i have to take out the whole tail light assembly to replace one freak'n bulb!!! anyone done this b4?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tail light bulb replacment...

Major pain. You have to take off the plastic lining in the trunk to access the cheap screws that hold the light housing in. You then have to pull out the entire light housing to change the bulb. You will know you did a good job if all the little plastic fasteners that hold it all together are in one piece when you are done.. [:@]

ORIGINAL: cvz_finezt

one of my bulbs on my passenger's side tail light is out now. and when i went back there to look on how to replace it... well ford makes its a lil tough to do considering tht it looks lik i have to take out the whole tail light assembly to replace one freak'n bulb!!! anyone done this b4?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Yea good luck not breaking the plastic rivets but since you are going to take it off you might as well get some sequential and plug those in while your at it
Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Here is an exploded view.
Use Sylvania LongLifes and replace them all
while you have it out.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=391&viewfil...20Assembly.pdf
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

Major pain. You have to take off the plastic lining in the trunk to access the cheap screws that hold the light housing in. You then have to pull out the entire light housing to change the bulb. You will know you did a good job if all the little plastic fasteners that hold it all together are in one piece when you are done.. [:@]

lol i feel your pain... mine was all fugly when i finished,anyways does anyone know where u can get some new ones???
Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

well the swap took me all of 10 minutes. the hardest part for me was getting the tail light assembly out. it took a lil "coaxing" but it was pretty much straight foward.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:03 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfpup

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

lol i feel your pain... mine was all fugly when i finished,anyways does anyone know where u can get some new ones???
I just got them from the dealership but I bet you could get them somewhere else but probably easiest just to go to dealership. I think they charge a dollar a fastener
Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

yeah i just did this last week...not only is it a pain to replace, but i went to 4 different parts stores and nobody carries our bulbs...had to go to the dealership. had i known how annoying the replacement would be, i would have bought all the bulbs and replaced them at the same time.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
my06shaker
2nd Gear Member

I had one burn out on the passenger side. Went to the parts counter and was informed that the bulbs were under warranty. They paid for it. I told the guy at the counter that there was no way I was going to put it all back together for them to take it all apart again to fix it as a warranty repair. He gave me the bulb and I had to return the burned out one back to him. True story. Dick Smith Ford Columbia SC. I went ahead and purchased another and put it in the glove box for future use. He told me that Ford had experienced some problems with the taillight bulbs for our cars.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

If you break those clips don't goto the dealership to get them, they are hellafalotmore expenseev. Goto pepboys or autozone. Take one of the plastic pins and match up the size. I got the ones that you can unscrew when u need to take them out again (instead of having to pop it out). Much easier and the small pack of I forget how manywere around $3.

Quick Reply: tail light bulb replacment...