Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Spinners

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default Spinners

I read where a guys spinner came off. Also someone said that the Ford Spinners are made of plastic chrome. Is that true?
Years ago on my first car I had chrome spoke rims that came with a chrome (solid, not plastic) spinner. In the center it had an emblem that you could take off and lock the rims with a key. There was never any worry about the spinner flying off. I am very surprised that the spinners Ford now offers do not have something to lock them on.
I have yet to remove the Tri-Bar Pony emblem from my rims (chicken), is there a way to screw a spinner in there and lock it?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
bharp1307

Default RE: Spinners

the spinners just snap in and out. i had mine taken off at a parking lot and was pissed. so im looking in to new wheels/rims.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
kirax105strike
2nd Gear Member

spinners just scream please give me attention
lol
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i love how people call them spinners lol. but yeah they just pull off. i had 2 of mine stolen while i was at a wal-mart, i was mad. and they are made of plastic but what isnt these days?lol
Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Somebody posted a while ago that they cut a piece of PVC pipe and inserted it into the spinner from behind (with the wheel off obviously). The pipe was tightly sized to prevent the plastic tabs of the spinner from compressing. Justa thought...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Somebody posted a while ago that they cut a piece of PVC pipe and inserted it into the spinner from behind (with the wheel off obviously). The pipe was tightly sized to prevent the plastic tabs of the spinner from compressing. Justa thought...
That has to be the greatest idea that I have heard in a long while! I had thought of putting screws through the inside of the spinners into the wheel but this sounds a whole lot better! Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I read where a guys spinner came off. Also someone said that the Ford Spinners are made of plastic chrome. Is that true?
Years ago on my first car I had chrome spoke rims that came with a chrome (solid, not plastic) spinner. In the center it had an emblem that you could take off and lock the rims with a key. There was never any worry about the spinner flying off. I am very surprised that the spinners Ford now offers do not have something to lock them on.
I have yet to remove the Tri-Bar Pony emblem from my rims (chicken), is there a way to screw a spinner in there and lock it?
Hi Sandy,

They are plastic.

I don't think in this day of "super-safety" we'd be allowed 8 ounce steel spinners that at 80MPH could cut through a house.

My old 65 Corvair had steel spinners, you actually had to have the wheels balanced with the wire wheel covers attached they were so heavy (somethng like 10-15 pounds).

Plastic is light, "safe", and easy to replace.

They still look good though.

SOHC
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You mean you dont knock them off with a hammer to get the rim off
like the old race cars? Glad someone pointed this out before I had a
flat and could not figure it out. This topic was posted a week ago.
Use the search feature.[:@]
https://mustangforums.com/m_3950797/tm.htm
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

On mine they are called tribar spinners too. They dont spin but have had that name for a while. Mine have three allen wrench screws that hold them on and it definitely helps deter theft.
ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

i love how people call them spinners lol. but yeah they just pull off. i had 2 of mine stolen while i was at a wal-mart, i was mad. and they are made of plastic but what isnt these days?lol
Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

Yep, they are plastic and lightweight, and they attach by spring compression (as mentioned) where they just pop on using hand pressure. I think the reason they were made like they are was to allow them to be popped off just like a regular centercap from the outside, which mandated being lightweigh since anything heavy would come off while spinning. The real "quality" heavyduty spinners usually get bolted in from inside the wheel so that they won't come off at high speeds.

Quick Reply: Spinners