Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

wheel/caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default wheel/caliper paint

Viewing the recent posts on people painting their wheels/calipers, I was wondering if I do the same.

Instead of just doing it and not being satisfied, I photoshopped it first to see how it would look.

Original:

Brake Calipers:

Brake Calipers/Wheel Paint

Comparison:

->

What do you all think?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
JimC

Default RE: wheel/caliper paint

I like the painted wheel and the calipers go well with your car. I'm not sure how close the actual caliper paint is to the color of your car, but it is probably close enough. The painted wheel has a 1966 Shelby look to it.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 AM
BadS197
Banned

ActuallyG2 just released a D3 Torch Red Brake Caliper Paint which will matchthe factoryTorch Red Mustang. PM me or shoot me an e-mail if you're interested. I don't believe it's up on the website yet, but I can get you taken care of.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

don't forget the lil painted indentions on your wheels...i almost forgot them when i did mine, but i caught it...with spinners you can't really see em, but on yours, def need it done...i think it's sweet, but i'm biased :P
Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM
JimC

Landon - how did you do the paint job, what steps, what type of paint,any pics?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

It looks great to me, good luck!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: landon.moss

don't forget the lil painted indentions on your wheels...i almost forgot them when i did mine, but i caught it...with spinners you can't really see em, but on yours, def need it done...i think it's sweet, but i'm biased :P
by indentations you mean inside the wheel right? Yeah that would look so bad if I forgot that haha.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

nah, there's 5 of em...in-between each lug nut there's a lil triangular indentation...

this has been in a few other threads, but just scuff-up the gray painted parts with 320, prime if you want, paint (don't forget to mask lol) do 2-3 coats of paint and then clear...you shouldn't have any problem with runs, etc. if you takeyour time, but if you do, it won't really show up anyway

HINT: to save some time, polish the wheels before you start so that if you get overspray or don't mask well enough, the paint dots will rub right off i just used department store paint - it works just as well as the high dollar duplicolor, etc. paints.

i think i wanna do my calipers, but not sure what color on mineral grey - i was thinking ford blue or red, but then competition orange was brought up (and i'm a sucker for orange lol)...but i'm gonna clean on my car tomorrow and i'll get some new pics -the ones i've posted are from january i believe,maybebefore that- i did my painting in september of 07 and it's holding up really well through the iowa salt, sand, snow, gravel, etc.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I was thinking about painting those triangular indentations red, but that might look stupid. I will most likely just paint those black along with the wheels.

I'm getting my car detailed/waxed tomorrow, then driving it home and going to work on the car.

Also, did you scuff the front part of the rims (the part you did not paint)?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Avalanch3

I was thinking about painting those triangular indentations red, but that might look stupid. I will most likely just paint those black along with the wheels.

I'm getting my car detailed/waxed tomorrow, then driving it home and going to work on the car.

Also, did you scuff the front part of the rims (the part you did not paint)?
Probably not,the only reason you scuff is so the paint has a good surface to stick to and that way it looks better and lasts longer.

Quick Reply: wheel/caliper paint