Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

paint swirl marks and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Default paint swirl marks and scratches

I've got an 05 on which the paint has been pretty neglected. It's got horrible swirl marks on it. What is the best way to get rid of these. Will a good wax job do it, or do I need one of those orbital waxer machine thingies. I want to stay away from a machine because I've got vinyl stripes on the car and the previous owner said the dealer warned him that they could be damaged if he was not careful. Ive also got a spot on a rear wheel well where some jerk scraped my car in a parking lot. Is this something I could repaint myself or is it best left to a shop? Do we have a "clear coat" paint job, or will old fashioned rubbing compound work. There just minor scratches, but they drive me crazy when my car is clean!! Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: paint swirl marks and scratches

Post in the Detailing section. Guys there have good advice.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

A complete detail will cure all those swirls... orbital and all
Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Try Claybarring your car(removes contaminants from your clearcoat..(yes our cars have a clearcoat), a random orbital machine polisher with a mild polish you can use repeatedly, follow that up with a quality wax or a sealant

I recommend Griots Garage random orbital machine polisher, Griots #3 polish, and GG's Best in Show wax/sealant.

If the scratches are very bad, try #2 polish, then #3 (finer polish) until the swirls are gone, and finish with Best of show wax.

Try to POLISh out the scratches the jerk gave you before you try a "rubbing compound", if polishing doesn't work, you can try a more agressive polish before going to a rubbing compound. You always want to use the least agressive method to remove scratches first. If the scratch went through the clearcoat, paint, and hit primer, touch up paint will be necessary.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Obsessive Detail (site Sponsor) has similiar products that will give you the the same results.
I'm just recomending what I use and KNOW it works.

Random orbitals like Porter and Griots Garage models are safe for use on vinyl stripes.

I hope this post answered your questions.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM
david.zeetser.23
I ♥ Acer

Try this, before you take it to car wash and get it buffed and waxed and everything, buy rubbing compound from automotive store, and also liquid wax. not water based. also, buy micro fiber cloth. then you put the rubbing compound on the scratch and rub it over then wipe and put wax on it. That usually works for me and body shops use that technique too thats who told me bout it.