Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Sunroof and tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

Default Sunroof and tint

I have a couple questions. First, has anyone had a sunroof installed? I've never seen one in a mustang and was just curious if anyone in the community has actually done it. Second, anyone tint their own windows? If so, is it difficult to do so, what are the steps in applying the tint? I am looking to put a light tint on the door windows. I know its illegal in some places but it really helps in the summer when my town is constantly 100+ plus.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sunroof and tint

I've tinted a bunch of windows on my friends cars and some of my prior. The tint on my stang tho, I've gotten for free from the dealership.
It's relatively simple. Lots of patience though..
Get your self about 2 small box cutters ( you will need the blades sharp. and snapping pieces from it will be required )

bottle of windex ( I like windex because of no residue )
a squeegee

If you do your rear window, get a heat gun. You will need it to avoid cutting strips and makingit look like a$$
lots of paper towels. Lint free. ( walmart sells the blue rolls in the auto section for 99 cents per roll )
and get you a bunch of razor blades like this:

Start by spraying your windows both inside and out with windex. Use them paper towels at first to take most of the dust off.
Then spray it again and use the razor blades to clean whatever might be stuck on the window that a towel could not get off.
Expect to spend a good 10-30 minutes per window in this step.

Make sure you do it on both sides though, as you will be working from the outside.

Once the window is nice and clean, take a strip of tint big enough to cover the whole window. Leave plenty of film to go around the edges of the window. About 3-5 inches would do.
Make sure you sut it, STICKY side towards you. The tint itself has another clear film ontop of it to protect the adhesive and the film it self.

Cut the bottom part first. Use the windows contour as a guide. Once you have the bottom cut out, cut some slices upward on the edges. Slide about half an inch down the window, into the door, so to speak.
Continue cutting upward starting from whatever edge you want to. I do the mirror side first, as if I make an error, I can slide it a bit and fix it.

For the top, open your door, and use the edge of your window as a guide.
Remember that flap you left at the bottom ? Push the tint upward a tad bit to expose the bottom flap.. If the film does not move so easy, spray some more windex underneath the film...
Now push the tint back down, but not into the door well. On the outside this time. And cut that half inch piece off. Or just enough to leave you 1/8 inch gap at the top. OR, you can do what I had done, which is no gap at the top.. I hope I'm making sense here.. he he

At this point, give the inside of the window a final spray and clean, and get it we yet again.
Using two pieces of tape, ( one piece on each side of the film ) pull the protective film off the tint film..
Stick the film " sticky side " towads the window.. Start at the center, and push all the windex outward. Any direction you want. Be careful though.. too much pressure might mess up your work and create a crease on the film. at which point it's garbage.

Once you get all the windex out from underneath the film, you are pretty much done. There will be a little cloudness the first day.. but leave it in the sun, and it'll bake right out..

start with your quarter pannels first though.. They are really easy to do and you really can't mess up..

Back window.. Hire some help.. Our windows are pretty big and you might need a hand doing this for the first time..
Well, I hop I helped. If you have any more questions let me know.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

I have 35% on all my windows (except the front) and that ran me only $135.00. Too me, it is just worth the money to have it done FWIW.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 AM
07ROUSHGT
1st Gear Member

Sorry...would like to help but had it done by the shop. Don't have the patience now a days to do it myself. Only ended up costing me about $100.00. Well worth it in the long run because I know I would have lost it if I tried it. Good luck if you try
Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Tint is one of those things that should be left to a professional (in my opinion). I only spent like $150 for my tint
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

no sunroof experiences?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlaurens06gt

no sunroof experiences?
I have a friend I work with that had one put in his sixxer. What do you want to know and I'll ask him.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

would be kinda cool to have that full moon roof thing the 09 concept GT has..
except if you wreck.[&:]
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
weav38

i have a pop up sunroof in mine looks great nice to have something most dont have if i could figure how to post pics on here ill do so
Old 05-19-2008, 05:33 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Try this: https://mustangforums.com/m_4924856/tm.htm