Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Lemans Racing Stripes on a GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:42 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

Default Lemans Racing Stripes on a GT

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in installingthe Lemans style stripe (aka Shelby 500) on a regular Mustang GT with the factory hood scoop (Black paint w/Alloy colored striping). I wanted to know if anyone could/would comment on the following:

1). Is there anyone out there that replicates this Lemans stripe kit for my application? I would want it to be dimensionally correct to the factory stripes.

2). I have seen this striping on a "scoopless" hood, but striping at/around the hood scoop presents some confusion.
a.) Does Ford make a stripe kit for this application?
b.) Would you remove the hood scoop and stripe under the scoop leaving the scoop painted the factory color?
c.)Conversely,could there be a stripe that goes over the top of the scoop theat follows the "lines" on the main stripe(s)?
d.)Are there pictures out there( a "scooped" GT with this stripeset-upinstalled)?

Any help/suggestions/directives would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Lemans Racing Stripes on a GT

ORIGINAL: nicksfoursix

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in installingthe Lemans style stripe (aka Shelby 500) on a regular Mustang GT with the factory hood scoop (Black paint w/Alloy colored striping). I wanted to know if anyone could/would comment on the following:

1). Is there anyone out there that replicates this Lemans stripe kit for my application? I would want it to be dimensionally correct to the factory stripes. (Baltimore Street Mods)

2). I have seen this striping on a "scoopless" hood, but striping at/around the hood scoop presents some confusion.
a.) Does Ford make a stripe kit for this application?(not sure)
b.) Would you remove the hood scoop and stripe under the scoop leaving the scoop painted the factory color?(Thatshow mine was installed, looks best in my opinion)
c.)Conversely,could there be a stripe that goes over the top of the scoop theat follows the "lines" on the main stripe(s)? (I believe Roush Does that)
d.)Are there pictures out there( a "scooped" GT with this stripeset-upinstalled)?
Look at my gallery
Any help/suggestions/directives would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nicksfoursix

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in installing the Lemans style stripe (aka Shelby 500) on a regular Mustang GT with the factory hood scoop (Black paint w/Alloy colored striping). I wanted to know if anyone could/would comment on the following:

1). Is there anyone out there that replicates this Lemans stripe kit for my application? I would want it to be dimensionally correct to the factory stripes.
If you're looking for vinyl, baltimorestreetmods has nice looking kits. Go find a car and measure the stripes. I think the center spacing
is up to you with the kits, and they have 10 and 12" widths.

I strongly recommend paint.

a.) Does Ford make a stripe kit for this application?
Never seen one. I believe the factory stripes (called "over the top") are not cut out around a scoop, I've never seen them installed
on a car with the scoop. Also, the factory "over the top" stripes, do not cover the front/rear bumper like the GT500 stripes.

b.) Would you remove the hood scoop and stripe under the scoop leaving the scoop painted the factory color?
NO! No! No! No! There are several threads on this subject, and it happened to me. If you pull the scoop, stripe underneath
and put the scoop back on, the stripes can bunch up. The scoop is plastic and it moves and flexes. My vinyl stripe (before I
went with paint) did this. Get a kit from BSM that goes around the stripes. I did leave my scoop the body color.

c.) Conversely, could there be a stripe that goes over the top of the scoop theat follows the "lines" on the main stripe(s)?
d.) Are there pictures out there ( a "scooped" GT with this stripe set-up installed)?
Yes, some folks go over the stripe. Yes, there are tons of pics (try BSMs website) or look around here. Unfortunately the search function
is broken (I think), but there are many people here who striped the scoop. BSM offers an option to stripe the scoop (but doesn't
recommend it). You're going to have to look around on your own, unless people see this and repost their cars.

Again, I recommend going with paint, but if you're going vinyl, I'd go with a BSM kit and install it yourself.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
capitalautomall
1st Gear Member

Baltimorestreetmods!!!!
bought4 kit from them already. 100% fit.