Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Questions For Those With Taped On Window Louvers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

These are the scoops on my car that are glass mount and don't touch the paint. I'm sure there are plenty of louvers that mount the same way.
Attached Thumbnails Questions For Those With Taped On Window Louvers...-user89751_pic1986_1220292638.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
yeah, i would assume touching up with clearcoat wouldn't be "too" awfully expensive.. and definately worth it.. if it's damaged..

mine are Roush - they have 3 clips / support brackets that are 3m dbl-sided taped to both the body and the glass.. but it's just 3 spots about 1" by 2" each.. but it's still on the body.. but i don't plan on removing mine ever.. so it didn't bother me.. but i had to be very careful cause that promotor runs like water.. and i didn't realize it at first.. luckily i had a towel and caught it before it got off my tape...

i have seen a couple styles that stick to your glass only.. so i know they're out there.. good luck man.. make sure you reply back and let us know when you remove your existing ones, let us know what you found out..

+1
Roush side louvers here also.
I used the adhesive promoter on the brackets themselves and
the glass, but not the area where the tape was affixed to the body.
You are going to have clearcoat damage when you remove the louvers.
The edges of Roush Louvers contact the paint and there are telltale
signs of them being on there when removed.
You really have to commit yourself to Roush 1/4 window louvers.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

I just got some louvers from RPI designs and maybe I was a little overzealous in my haste to install them. I washed my car, and then w/ clean windows, but w/o using any solvent such as rubbing alcohol, applied the louvers to the 1/4 window glass w/ the attached 3M tape (it was a clear type of tape as opposed to the sponge-like tape that came w/ my tail-light bezels). Shortly after the install I noticed the top and bottom of the front edge of the louver pulling away from the glass, now it seems that no matter how hard I push the louver back onto the glass, the tape keeps releasing, would it be possible to drip some adhesion promotor down there to help it stay stuck, or do I need to pull the louvers off completely and re-install w/ new tape?

Hopefully I didn't screw myself over here.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paulg5678
I just got some louvers from RPI designs and maybe I was a little overzealous in my haste to install them. I washed my car, and then w/ clean windows, but w/o using any solvent such as rubbing alcohol, applied the louvers to the 1/4 window glass w/ the attached 3M tape (it was a clear type of tape as opposed to the sponge-like tape that came w/ my tail-light bezels). Shortly after the install I noticed the top and bottom of the front edge of the louver pulling away from the glass, now it seems that no matter how hard I push the louver back onto the glass, the tape keeps releasing, would it be possible to drip some adhesion promotor down there to help it stay stuck, or do I need to pull the louvers off completely and re-install w/ new tape?

Hopefully I didn't screw myself over here.
You need to redo them, even if the adhesion promoter worked, which I doubt it will, obviously the bond is going to be poor in other areas too.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Paulg5678
1st Gear Member

Dammit, just what I didn't want to hear, but its no one's fault but my own. Where can one buy the 3M tape and adhesion promoter so that when I go to redo these things I can get it done right?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paulg5678
Dammit, just what I didn't want to hear, but its no one's fault but my own. Where can one buy the 3M tape and adhesion promoter so that when I go to redo these things I can get it done right?
+1 on redo.

Most auto parts stores carry the tape, promoter and, if you're not using 90% or better alcohol, a good solvent.

The preparation is 90% of the install. Be sure that you tape-to-louver application is done right, too. It'd be a b*tch to have the tape-to-glass fine and then have the louvers pulling off from the tape. Be mindful of your temperature (above 65 deg. F if I recall) and cure time (24 hours of NON-MOVEMENT of the vehicle).
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I took mine off this spring, but it took a lot of effort. I went to Lowes to get my tape, it's the Scotts 5lb black. I like the Scotts b/c it is wider then the stuff they sell at the auto parts stores. This is useful on the front part of the scoop where there is a larger contact spot with the window which takes the most force from the wind.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have had mine on for two years and have not had a problem. I cleaned the surface with alcohol and then wipe the tape with promoter as instructed.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
I took mine off this spring, but it took a lot of effort. I went to Lowes to get my tape, it's the Scotts 5lb black. I like the Scotts b/c it is wider then the stuff they sell at the auto parts stores. This is useful on the front part of the scoop where there is a larger contact spot with the window which takes the most force from the wind.
Ato,

What did you do/use to remove them from your car? Mine are off by a few degrees and it drives me crazy. I want to take them off and start over, how'd you get them off and get the tape off the louvers? Thanks.

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
Ato,

What did you do/use to remove them from your car? Mine are off by a few degrees and it drives me crazy. I want to take them off and start over, how'd you get them off and get the tape off the louvers? Thanks.

Steve
Tape and fishing line. I sent you more details in a pm.

Quick Reply: Questions For Those With Taped On Window Louvers...