Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Made my own darn keyhole plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suoperdave84
I put saran wrap in the keyhole, then pressed clay into it. Then I pulled it out and then baked the clay. Once it was dry I sanded it to the proper shape. Then I made a silicone mold of the part. Then I poured liquid resin into the mold, casting it in plastic. Then a light sanding, primer, color and clear. 24 hours later a wetsanding and polish. Attached it with a dab of emblem adhesive.
Seems like an awful lot of work for something that you can buy for $15. Plus, IMO its not worth the time or money to get one of those, because I don't think it improves the look all that much. Now if there was a way to replace that whole part of the handle (so that it looked like it came stock with no keyhole, instead of looking like it was plugged) that would look cool.

Although I liked having a keyhole when I was installing my CAI the other day and needed to get something out of my locked car...
Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyJ
Seems like an awful lot of work for something that you can buy for $15. Plus, IMO its not worth the time or money to get one of those, because I don't think it improves the look all that much. Now if there was a way to replace that whole part of the handle (so that it looked like it came stock with no keyhole, instead of looking like it was plugged) that would look cool.

Although I liked having a keyhole when I was installing my CAI the other day and needed to get something out of my locked car...

The guy that was selling them for $15 was ripping people off. And doing it like this means that if I ever have to, I can pop it out and get to the keyhole. Also, it's not just a round piece that sticks into any keyhole....it has to be made specifically for the car.

It wasn't hard to do, and I might take some to the Mustang Cruise here in MD and sell a few. So it was worth the 2 or 3 hours I spent. A lot of people were interested in these plugs and once I saw the idea, the look of the ugly keyhole was really bothering me.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I put saran wrap in the keyhole, then pressed clay into it. Then I pulled it out and then baked the clay. Once it was dry I sanded it to the proper shape. Then I made a silicone mold of the part. Then I poured liquid resin into the mold, casting it in plastic. Then a light sanding, primer, color and clear. 24 hours later a wetsanding and polish. Attached it with a dab of emblem adhesive.
Lookin good.
Could you go one further and mold it with a blank key out of the back of it to facilitate mounting it instead of the emblem adhesive. It could then actually be quickly removed in a dead battery situation where you
really need ot use the key hole to get in?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Lookin good.
Could you go one further and mold it with a blank key out of the back of it to facilitate mounting it instead of the emblem adhesive. It could then actually be quickly removed in a dead battery situation where you
really need ot use the key hole to get in?

Hmmm....it's possible I guess. It might be kinda difficult to get the casting perfect enough so that when the blank is in the hole the plug lines up perfectly. if I had a CNC machine maybe. Good idea though.

The emblem adhesive is very forgiving. It's not as permanent as you might think. It's a lot like rubber cement. Once you pry out the plug, you can use your key to pull out the remaining glue (once cured it is like rubber) and then you can use your key to open the door. Then just glue it back in.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

wish you lived closer, cars the same color and everything
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Nice job Suoperdave, you sound like you have experience with materials and machining.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Eaglestroker,
PM me if you want one. Maybe I can hook you up. I am limited on colors I can paint but obviously I have Alloy.

Cuzzo,
Thanks man....but no, no machining experience here....just what I have done to the car. Mainly just stuff like this for emblems and such.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hmmm....it's possible I guess. It might be kinda difficult to get the casting perfect enough so that when the blank is in the hole the plug lines up perfectly. if I had a CNC machine maybe. Good idea though.

The emblem adhesive is very forgiving. It's not as permanent as you might think. It's a lot like rubber cement. Once you pry out the plug, you can use your key to pull out the remaining glue (once cured it is like rubber) and then you can use your key to open the door. Then just glue it back in.
I can touch 3 CNC machines from where I am sitting.
Emblem Adhesive, also known as Gorilla Snot from its yellow
appearance, it very tough from my past experiences with it.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

where do you buy this "emblem adhesive"?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

The stuff I use is Goop Automotive Contact Adhesive and Sealant.

Got it at Advance Auto for like $2.99

Quick Reply: Made my own darn keyhole plug