Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

How common are delamination issues in striping/painting aftermarket hoods? (Cervini)

Old 10-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Jbrandt22
1st Gear Member

Default How common are delamination issues in striping/painting aftermarket hoods? (Cervini)

Hey guys,

So I recently e-mailed my local paint shop about getting my stripes done. Aside from getting stripes painted on my car, I'm also having them paint/stripe/install a Cervini C series duckbill wing, a Cervini 2.5 cowl hood and a CDC Aggressive Chin spoiler. They replied saying this.

"Hi, sounds like you've been busy.

Yes we can do all you've outlined. I do have some concerns over the quality with the parts. We've seen the parts not fit well so they should be fitted before painting and would need to be stripped in place so all the stripes line up. Lastly there are delamination concerns. We recently did a silver mustang with grey stripes and the new high rise hood blistered. Its a delamination problem in the gelcoat. Be advised I can't guarantee someone elses parts. Our paint won't bubble it's solvent or air trapped in the molded layers. These parts are injection molded and these issues are common. This particular hood we painted was a Rousch part and we didn't expect these issues but they exist and I need to put them on the table. If it bubbles or blisterd you'd have to pay to have it repainted if it matters. Understand these parts are not a perfect fit bolt on item."

So how common are these issues with Cervini Products? Anybody had any problems? Has anybody by any chance had this same hood painted? It'd be quite devastating to have to re-plan the look of my car because of some paint issues.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I am very partial to Cervini's products......I have had mine painted and installed on my gt since July 2007, and I have had no problems. There are so many different manufacturers that make parts for our cars, and I am sure there are various qualities.

My bodyman, "Mark", was concerned when I first approached him with the ideas I had. Once he got his hands on the Cervini parts he had nothing but good things to say about them. He was very impressed with the quality, and the fit was damn near perfect.

My stripes are painted on and still holding strong..........
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Cervini makes good stuff, you should be fine. just know that it's a possibility with anything aftermarket.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

The fact is that not all aftermarket companies products are equal and that some do tend to produce crap that is cheaply made and requires tons of prep but cost very little. That being said, I have heard very few problems ever about Cervini's fit or finish before prep and certainly nothing after the products was painted and installed on the vehicle. To me it kind of sounds like that bodyshop may be trying to distance themselves from any future warranty claims with their prep and paint work should they ever come back. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong here and I probably am, but outside of one CF hood (which is unlikely to have a delamination problem) what other hoods does Roush even have. I've Roush car and part I have ever seen has just been the fake hood scoop. I guess what I'm saying is, either the guy is full of it, he doesn't know the difference in parts or I'm making an overly general assumption.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Did a few Cervini fiberglass hoods and not only on Mustangs...
They all were great and never blistered later on due to poor gelcoat quality or not enough gelcoat (more often the case) for that matter.

Cervini's urethane plastics (spoilers, ground effects etc...) on the other end, are not user friendly and are costly to prep.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thumbs up Cervinis parts and prep

to elaborate on the urethane parts that Cervinis uses being costly to prep is that I found it to have alot of mold release requiring the parts to be "prepped" longer than others therefore increasing labor cost but the fit and the quality of the parts themselves (I have the whole kit) is spot on (esp the fiberglass). I am NOT a paint and body guy but that should have been my calling.... I have been detailing cars for 17 yrs and know some about paint and its application (not like pascal though!...) just never actually painted anything on my own. I did help in the 'prep' of the parts to keep costs down and being a black car upped the prices a bit more. Now Trufiber on the other hand.....that is another story for another thread in the future. hope it helps J

Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by pascal
Did a few Cervini fiberglass hoods and not only on Mustangs...
They all were great and never blistered later on due to poor gelcoat quality or not enough gelcoat (more often the case) for that matter.

Cervini's urethane plastics (spoilers, ground effects etc...) on the other end, are not user friendly and are costly to prep.
didn't you do a 2.5 inch cowl hood for a GT500 conversion and the prep was like 2 hrs? post some pics for the guy pascal.......do it....do it now....LOL (movie quote-sorry its late) J
Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Jbrandt22
1st Gear Member

I would love to see a 2.5in. Cowl hood with stripes on it =)
Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Something like this?