Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

interior black air vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Lovin' it man...lovin' it!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

looks good, man! what type of paint did you use?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
looks good, man! what type of paint did you use?
The first two layers I used RUST-OLEUM Metallic, 7250 Black Night Metallic. Letting it almost completely dry, but allowing it to be a little tacky before I finished it off with two layers of RUST-OLEUM Specialty Lacquer (High Lustre Coating) 1906830 CLEAR. Just be really careful if you try this yourself because this stuff is thick and likes to run. So just spray it really light and evenly each time. On the trouble spots or dust spots I just used 1000 grit sandpaper and then put rubbing compound and hand glaze over it, but that is only after letting it cure for 24 hrs.

Here's a pic of the clear for reference:

Last edited by Darkness7; 11-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Man that looks awesome. May have to try this next...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Did you prep the plastic at all first? Like sanding or something?

I might want to paint mine just a semi gloss or matte black.

I put in a Roush vent pod so I have an extra vent to try. I might buy some paint and try it out.

How do you with it would hold up over time?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Did you prep the plastic at all first? Like sanding or something?

I might want to paint mine just a semi gloss or matte black.

I put in a Roush vent pod so I have an extra vent to try. I might buy some paint and try it out.

How do you with it would hold up over time?
Yes, I forgot to mention that sanding is a HUGE first step before attempting to spray these. I think I used a 400 grit...just something enough to scuff them up. Make sure you thoroughly sand the whole surface back and front. Then I wiped them down with some paint thinner and then tack clothed them. You can buy some stuff called Bulldog adhesion promoter from Wal-Mart and prep it with that as well. Bulldog is used on plastic and metal pieces to make paint stick better. However, if you are just careful and spray a light first coat then Bulldog isn't needed (at least in my case).

I sprayed numerous coats as you can see from my previous post, so holding up over time shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you put on multiple clear coats. Obviously if someone went to hit them closed with sharp nails or something (WOMEN!) there is a slight chance of chipping into the paint...I highly doubt it tho.

I'm finishing up my latest creation tonight and should have pics posted by this weekend...so stay tuned!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darkness7
Yes, I forgot to mention that sanding is a HUGE first step before attempting to spray these. I think I used a 400 grit...just something enough to scuff them up. Make sure you thoroughly sand the whole surface back and front. Then I wiped them down with some paint thinner and then tack clothed them. You can buy some stuff called Bulldog adhesion promoter from Wal-Mart and prep it with that as well. Bulldog is used on plastic and metal pieces to make paint stick better. However, if you are just careful and spray a light first coat then Bulldog isn't needed (at least in my case).

I sprayed numerous coats as you can see from my previous post, so holding up over time shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you put on multiple clear coats. Obviously if someone went to hit them closed with sharp nails or something (WOMEN!) there is a slight chance of chipping into the paint...I highly doubt it tho.

I'm finishing up my latest creation tonight and should have pics posted by this weekend...so stay tuned!

I can't wait to see it!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Suoperdave84, here it is:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...41895&posted=1
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 AM
stranger

Well, I just received the air vents with the Satin ring and black louvre (Bullitt style) and they look great. I will take pics tomorrow during the day and post if you guys are interested. I installed 3 of them and the first one I tried to install, the entire vent came out together with the plastic that sits between the vent and the dash (it is silver in IUP but black in the non-IUP). That thing broke into 3 piece (see the pics). Does anyone know what that thing is called and where I can buy one? I only have three vents and one hole in the dash

This might seem silly, but how do you post a pic from the local computer in the reply?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

You have to put it online through something like photobucket interested to see what your talking about...

Quick Reply: interior black air vents