Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

My hood chipped and I don't want 3M!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Default My hood chipped and I don't want 3M!

In short, I need strong paint!
I have a fibreglass cervini ram air hood, but it seems to chip so easily.
I have 5 chips on it right now, and it is nothing like when a stone hits painted aluminum. Rather than a scrape, it actually pits it...as if the fibre was soft.
Now, if the guys I took it to, didn't bake it right, then there is nothing I can do, so I am hoping it isn't that.
I talked to the gentlemen and asked them what my options are, and they suggested just touching it up (I will get to that later), and then using the 3M urethane film to cover the front part of the hood....were a bra would go.

Is there not a clearcoat that is strong enough? Is it unheard of to find someone that will layer the heck out of it? I really don't want to put on some ugly urethane film that may peel, crack, yellow, or get dirt lines on the edges...plus standout altogether.

The other part is that the guys that originally painted it, said that they could just touch up the chips. I asked what they mean by "touch up" and their idea was to just take an airbrush spray to it without prep or finish work. That would look like a 5 year old hit it with finger paints!!!!
I would think that if fibreglass pitted, that you have to fill, clear, prime, paint, and coat that small section. Why not?

All in all, should I just find another shop, or am I being to hard on these guys? ...also, what about the 3M film deal vs a harder clearcoat (and can it be done at this point by a different painter)?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You have to use a softer primer when prepping fiberglass...
If it's too hard, it'll chip.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, but at this point, what are my options...minus they strip and paint again.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Redfire427

Rhino-liner should do the trick.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire427
I think that is very specifically a polyurethane spray-on liner that needs to be put on after an acetone wash. Would be nice if they had a clearcoat equal.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Great, so now that this post was moved into a category that only has had a total eight threads since the beginning, I wonder what the chances are of actually getting another response ;-)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Redfire427
Let's try concrete projection while we're at it...
That will offer some protection, no?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

This section sees plenty of traffic.....and my only suggestion w/out repaint is to do chip repair...any good and reputable body shop can and will fix it as if it was not there.....worth the money and get the dreaded 3M clear bra to cover the front bumper cover and half way up the hood....these are really your only options...the rhino liner is a bad idea IMO....
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
This section sees plenty of traffic.....and my only suggestion w/out repaint is to do chip repair...any good and reputable body shop can and will fix it as if it was not there.....worth the money and get the dreaded 3M clear bra to cover the front bumper cover and half way up the hood....these are really your only options...the rhino liner is a bad idea IMO....
Is there not a clear-coat solution that will make the paint more resistant to chips? I guess I am just not following how the paint on the aluminum can be so much stronger than what I have now.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Actually clear coats are harder now then previously and actually chip easier then previously. What primer did they use on the hood? A softer primer will help prevent chips but in all actuality there is no paint out there that can withstand impaled objects (esp at cruising speeds) like stones, tree branches, and any parts that falls of someone else's car. As I said before 3M clear bra or don't drive the car are the only real good ways to assure no paint chips. Choice is yours and I am alot like you in that I cant stand paint chips and have a hard time accepting the fact that if you drive the car you will get chips in the paint at some point....I keep telling myself it gives the car character but that doesn't comfort me in anyway...

Quick Reply: My hood chipped and I don't want 3M!