Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

window tint on fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Default window tint on fog lights?

has anyone tried putting window tint on the fog light lenses or the turn signal lenses, or if using window tint is even possible? i've been wanting to black them out some, but i don't really want to buy covers in case i don't like the look. i know they make paints for that kind of thing, but i want something very easy and cheap. the only problem i could see, is that some tints have the ability to reflect heat, so could the internals of the fogs/signals get hot enough to do any 'real' damage? opinions anyone?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I put 20% tint on my signals.

$9.66 from Walmart's ricer section and it came with a whole huge roll.
It wasn't too hard. A helper makes it easier, but I just followed the directions that came with the tint and it was simple. I have never tinted anything before and they came out perfect.

^^Still lets plenty of light through.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

cool, that's exactly what i wanted to know; the walmart ricer section was exactly where i was thinking on getting it too

oh it looks great on your car too, btw
Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

if you had it on your headlights how much light you think would be sacrificed??
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

well, i tried doing this today, and the fogs were too curved for the tint to lay flat. then i tried doing the signals, and i couldn't get them to lay flat either i was wondering if you had any words of advise, 07 (or anyone else for that matter).

oh, for rford: i turned the fogs on with the tint 'partially' on, and the amount of light did decrease, but it was almost not noticeable to me.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Sure! I'll give you a write up with pics as soon as I get this virus cleared up off my computer. I'm on my ps3 right now, but I should have the virus off my computer by tonight.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
wildboi013
2nd Gear Member

I used 5% on fron turn signals and tail light and also i tinted my bumper sidemarkers in the rearon tips well the turn signals i recommend just taking them out and cutting a size close and rough then apply and with razor blade trim the edges... dont fret to much condsidering you only see middle section of light so the edges you can even see! the rear i did the same but didnt take them out because i didnt need to! dont have fog light so no help there
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
blackice05
1st Gear Member

I tried on the Fogs also. No luck either, same basic problem you had. I settle for some spray on tint and clearcoat and it works pretty good.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

(First off, the virus I got was from photobucket... where all the pics are from the install and I sure as heck am not going back there)

Alright, first you have to take the signals/any thing you're tinting off the car. Bring them inside (or a place without wind) is the first step. Clean the lights throughly with soapy water. Then make a template out of something (paper would work... I used a screwed up piece of tint.) lay paper or other object over the lights and draw the shape of the light on the template. Then cut the template out. Lay the template on the roll of tint and cut it out. Flip the template over and cut out another (for the opposite side turn signal). Then get a spray bottle and fill it with water and Joy dishwashing soap. Soak the whole light with water then take your tint, peel the backing off which will reveal the sticky side of the tint. When peeling the backing off, have another person spraying the sticky backside of the tint then stick it on the light... (there will be water EVERYWHERE!) Then take a squeege and squeege it slowly over and over and over again until all the wrinkles/bubbles are gone. At first, you will think there is no way this is going to work, but just keep squeeging it over and over and eventually all the wrinkles will come off (unless your cut out tint is too large and is hanging off the light).

Do that to other light and let it dry (I let it dry overnight) then reinstall them on the car.

You will have to sand the tab on the front signals some in order for them to snap back into place.

I hope that makes sense... it would help if I had more pictures to show you.
I have one... that is huge.

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 01-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

awesome! thanks for the write-up, 07. i may have to wait now, till it's a little warmer out; it's gotten a lot colder since i started this 'quest' and it's like 28 degrees in my garage

Quick Reply: window tint on fog lights?