Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Stripe removal and install...DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Stripe removal and install...DIY?

well my current stripe kit isnt as wide as id like it to be plus it has some nicks in the vinyl so i went ahead and got a hold of a new roush stripe kit for the beast....with this in mind, would it be an easy job to remove my current kit, clean the panels of old adhesive, and install the new one or should i just take it to the shop and let them do it? the current kit is about 1.5 yrs old so im not sure if it will come off readily or not....the roush kit is backed with that white wax paper stuff that you pull to expose the sticky side of the stripes and the kit is topped with that clear plastic that you pull off after the stripes have been installed...the stripes are already set with the proper 1" gap all the way down while in the plastic so all it will require is wetting the surface that it is to be applied on, position the stripes for that panel, then squeegy the liquid from underneath....is this a do-it-yourself type of project or should i let the pros do it???
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Use a good hot hair dryer or better yet a heat gun to heat the vinyl and it should soften and remove easily. To remove the adhesive that remains you can use a product called goo gone which is a citrus based product or WD-40 which works well also. Some Sign-A-Rama shops remove the old vinyl and install he new ones too, there pretty reasonable and have a very good eye because that is pretty much what they do when they make a sign. Good Luck. Where did you get the new stripes? I would like to see pictures once they are done, I want to have mine redone, I don't have the money to have them painted on right now and I also feel mine are too narrow.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I took mine off recently. 2.5 hours to do the hood. It was 30 degrees outside so that made it much harder. I was in the garage with a heat gun. Just heat those puppies up really really good and peel slowly. They'll come off. Mine are 2.5 years old. I used Oops to get the glue off. Its a real pain. WD40 didnt work for me but I've heard to use that from other people. Who knows. Its not the worst thing i've ever done, but its not really fun either. A nice day outside with some beer would probably make it pretty tolerable.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Ant2537
1st Gear Member

A hair dryer is your best friend when it comes to removing stripes.....
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

ya thanks.....i ended up picking up the roush tripe kit in gloss black that retails for $200 off of ebay for $52 (couldnt let it pass me by)...i stopped at a sign shop earlier and told him what i wanted done so hes supposed to call me with a price and ill post it here when he finally does....ill use that price to determine whether or not i want the hassle of doing it myself....
Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

they wanted to charge me $275 so ill just do it myself....ill start tomorrow
Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Yeah thats probably right. I'm having my new hood done for $100. Materials included. Its a Saleen hood with odd angles that I dont think I could work with having no experience.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
they wanted to charge me $275 so ill just do it myself....ill start tomorrow
what type of sign shop. I'd pay $275 for install but I cant find anyone to do it for under freaking $500
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i installed my own stripes, wasn't that bad..just time consuming..i would never pay more than 100 bucks to get stripes installed. its not that hard...and 01fnr the stripes you got will be a little harder since you got that wax paper stuff. mine was just put on with a **** load of water and soap.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

good luck man i hope it doesnt take u super long

Quick Reply: Stripe removal and install...DIY?