Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Major paint issue on a NEW car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
mikez

I'm the ONLY owner, i got the car with 40 miles on it. It was at a dealer near philly before my dealer got it on a vehicle trade. At about the 700 mile mark when i washed it did i first notice the etching. Car had seen no rain and been garaged up to that point.

I did speak with ford today and took the car to their body shop, that manager looked at it for about 10 minutes then......YUP YOU NEED A COMPLETE REPAINT... frekin great. I did get a smokin deal on it, the sticker was $31800 and i paid $23,700 with rebates. At this point i don't want a repainted new car so we'll have to come to some sort of deal on whats going to happen. BTW it is covered under warranty
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Just curious why are you so against a full repaint? Ill gladly substitute my car for the repaint
My GT/CS rear bumper matches perfectly with the rest of my car in both color and texture.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:24 PM
mikez

If i had wanted a car that needed painting i would have saved myself 10K and got a used 2005 gt and had it painted. I got a new car so it would be just that...NEW...as in needs nothing, drives great, has no other history from previous owners. This will show on the oasys report from ford. When i go to resell the car i'm not going to lie to a buyer and say no paintwork was done. Paint work removes value from a car...period.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
I've got the cold 3rd gear grind on my '08 as well. Double clutching when cold or reving above 3k seems to alleviate the prob.

Regarding the paint, if they're going to repaint the car, I'd advise against repainting the front bumper if possible. No aftermarket paint is anywhere near as tough as OEM paint. A repainted front bumper will chip like crazy from rocks.

Good luck!
I wish I had know that before. When I picked my car up 2 years ago it had 2 dents in the front bumper from transportation. Dealer repainted my bumper for free back then but now I have tons of paint chips on the bumper. I suppose warranty doesn't cover that right?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

do everything you can to get into a new (or at least different) Mustang!
I predict this car will have several other problems in its future and the dealer will not be so happy to fix it then.
You will also want to check the Lemon Law in your state. If it takes them too long to correct the problem they might be forced to buy back your car.
In CA it's 30 days, and I can see it taking that long, as it might take a week to get checked out, 1 week to get painted, 1 week to get approval to redo the paint after you point out all the screw ups in the repaint, and a final week for the 2nd repaint!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
starman
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear your problems....Learn the lesson.

Never take delivery of a car at night, or in any kind of bad weather.

It must be Sunny and do a full walk around and then have someone else with you do the same.... Live and Learn.

As said by someone before, if you do get a full re-paint and it is done right, it could potentially be better than factory.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
08MachGT
2nd Gear Member

Default grind issue

btw there is a tsb on the trans grind issue when cold. had it done to my 08 gt.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Vulcan420
1st Gear Member

Congrats on it being covered by warranty and it is good they are repainting it for you. It sucks about the repaint but they are not obligated to provide a new vehicle, just like any other product it is repair or replace at mfr's disgression.

In my state the lemon law is if you have to take it back for the same repair more than 5 times you will get an outside arbitrator to resolve the issue. Wow.

There are many "poor" design/engineering issues with the 2005 - 2009 Mustangs and it effects all models. There are many TSBs out so if you weren't expecting to have to deal with issues then you picked the wrong vehicle to buy. Just do an internet search on Mustang TSB and check out the results.

I dont think a GT500 would be any diff as far as quality. Maybe I am wrong - are they built in a diff plant or use diff paint? I would also think the pricetag on the GT500 would be a LOT more than the smokin deal you got on your GT and then how would you feel having problems to get resolved?

Personally, after experiencing more problems in the first year with my GT than my prev. car in 9 years I am thankful I did not go in any deeper than my GT.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

BTW, I read a nice story about a trip to an auto prep center. This was for imported BMW's and Minis in Oxnard and they had more than a few cars that were being repaired for damages during shipping. There were certain types of damages that could be repaired and not disclosed on the factory sticker!
I wonder how much paint damage they allow!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:51 PM
mikez

So I was able to go to the dealer today for the first time and talk with the gm's. It was a GREAT experience, they were actually on my side, weird i know. anyways they told me i have 3 options at this point.

1. File a claim with the dipute settlement board. The best that could happen is that they will buy the car back for what i have into it, worst is they will deny the claim, at which point I skip to option 2 or 3. Problem is that it can take 4-6 weeks.

2. Trade up to an 2009 grabber orange gt on the lot that is priced at $32,210. They will give me $22,210 on my car, so i would owe $7000 plus ttl, and that is after the $3000 rebate. The other car they have is called the booze brothers mustang, the same booze brothers that have the drag car in every magazine, I believe his name is charlie booze jr. Sticker on that car is $42995, and they will give me $23500 for mine, so i'll owe $16500. The car has basically EVERY bolt on you can put on a gt, painted matte hood, looks exactly like a 69' mach. Like a shelby gt, but a BBR GT.

3. Have my car repainted with some painted on stripes. They would also sell me parts at cost if i wanted to upgrade to brembo brakes or even make the car into a gt500 clone.

So those are the options at this time. Please make a comment and let me know what you think. It took me 3 months of looking and researching before i pulled the trigger on my car. Now with the current $3000 off rebates only lasting until the end of march i only have about 1 week to decide.

Thanks again for all the help thus far.

Quick Reply: Major paint issue on a NEW car??