Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
View Poll Results: Matte black stripes or gloss black?
Matte black
77.78%
Gloss black
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Cant decide between matte black and gloss black, opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Mustangarrett

Default Cant decide between matte black and gloss black, opinions please?

I have decided to go with the Baltimore Street Mods 12 inch stripe kit but can not decide between matte black and gloss black. My car is tungsten gray, paint code T8 I believe. I searched the forums for tungsten gray cars with matte black stripes to no avial, found plenty with gloss though. Nothin else is matte on the car currently, would likely get a chin down the road to mach if I do go that route. Any pictures or input would be much appriciated. Also, if you think another color would look best with the tungsten gray, dont hold back. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Vulcan420
1st Gear Member

I think silver stripes would also look good. I would probably do the silver rather than black.

If you prefer black then I think gloss black would look better than flat. It really depends on your taste.

If you want to buy side louvers, hood scoop and other parts and just get them in abs black and not paint them in order to save money then the flat might be a better choice then. Just remember that if you decide to buy abs parts and not paint them they have to be made with uv inhibitors and say in their product description that they dont need to be painted.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
graygt07
2nd Gear Member

i have the alloy (dark gray) and i painted flat black stripes 3 weeks ago. i think it looks much better then gloss.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Shipwreck
1st Gear Member

Here is a pic of gloss stripes that I found online. Hope this helps

I couldn't find a pic of the matte stripes... sorry
Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

go with the flat black...
Old 03-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Mustangarrett

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wish I could see some good quality pics of the matte/flat black (are the terms matte and flat interchangeable?) I'm a bit worried it will be too dramatic if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by graygt07
i have the alloy (dark gray) and i painted flat black stripes 3 weeks ago. i think it looks much better then gloss.
Do you have any pictures available? Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
BlackS197Stang
1st Gear Member

I like the looks of the matte black, and almost got them for my black GT, but got charcoal grey instead after I found out that you can't wax them. I don't think that they'll look good after a few years in the sun. The '83-'86 GT's had a big matte black stripe on the hood and they didn't hold up well.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I added a poll because they are fun and faster to read at a glance!... I voted matte black!

EDIT: Added the voted to those that chose above except for Hootna and ShipWreck I did not add their vote in as I was unsure as to if they actually made a choice...or just helping out in the decision process

OP-I think flat and matte black can be used interchangeably

Last edited by mygt500; 03-29-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I am undecided. Would have to see your car. I was looking around for a long time yesterday and the only car I could find in Matte Black was the Saleen above or a Roush 427R. And to tell the truth I am not even sure if the Saleen above is Tungsten.

I was thinking that if the car was close to stock with the stock front end I would say Matte. If you looked more like MYGT500S I like the gloss black or even silver.

Normally I am 100% matte black it is more of a racing look and the gloss is a classy look.

Heres a few more pics I think the silver looks sweet and the roush side stripes pop on this color. Boston street mods does make Roush side stripes and can make them with any words you want. I bought a set with HP#s on it but figured it was a little overboard with my stripes already.

Tungsten looks really hot I really like it the more I look.

Quick Reply: Cant decide between matte black and gloss black, opinions please?