Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Striping the Stang this week: Tips and tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Default Finished Striping the Stang this week! Lessons Learned and PICS!

I've had a set of 12" geranium red BaltimoreStreetMods stripes waiting for me since February, and I think I'm going to attempt the install this week while I'm home from school (and the weather is decent).

For anyone who's done their own striping work, I understand that this could take days, and I'm willing to be as patient as I need to be for it to look perfect.

But...is there anything I absolutely HAVE to know before attempting this? I've pored over the various self-striping threads on MF, and I will have those as well as the BSM instructions. I've had a few body shops tell me that I should get them professionally done, but I cannot, in principle, fork over $300+ for something I can very well do myself with time and a bit of help and of course...beer.

Please note, I have never laid vinyl before, so with that in mind, here are some of my thoughts going into this install.

1. I was planning on taping just the roof and deck lid. I also kicked around the idea of taking some 1/4" craft string (not yarn) to mark center over the entire vehicle. Good? Bad?

2. I'm hoping to get my bearings with how the vinyl will behave by laying the stripes on the top of the spoiler first, letting them set and everything. Good? Bad?

3. All of my stripes are transfer-taped. I understand that this has to be removed when doing the bumpers because of the tough angles. Should I also remove the transfer tape for all the other pieces so that I can actually get the top of the stripes wet? Is it vital that the transfer tape remain dry until it's time to pull it off? Do the tops of the stripes have to be wet during application as well, or is only having the vinyl wet underneath important?

4. I will not be striping the factory hood scoop. BSM recommends that I do NOT remove the scoop for installation. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct procedure?

5. I have a garage in which I will work. If the temperature outside doesn't crack 60 degrees, should I consider bringing a space heater into the garage and closing the door to provide extra heat, or will the mild temperatures not affect the adhesion of the vinyl too much?

6. As far as washing the car before the install, I understand that I have to remove all wax. A few weeks ago, I thoroughly applied a layer or two of EagleOne's Nanowax Spray. How will I know when the wax is sufficiently removed? Will simple dish soap and a sponge do a good enough job removing wax? If not, how should I go about washing the car to prep for install?

7. If I'm laying the stripes over a couple of days (I'm thinking this Thursday and Friday), how should I store the car overnight? Cover? Sheets? Don't bother?

---------

If there's anything I missed, please to chime in. If you have a lot of experience laying vinyl, please PM me for some encouragement and tips for a newbie haha. I am confident that once I understand how the vinyl behaves, I'll be able to lay it down without much trouble. But as I said, I very well may have overlooked a small detail in how to go about this. Any input is appreciated!

I will flood these forums with pictures and possibly videos once/if the install is finished and goes well!

Thank you!

Last edited by East87; 04-12-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

Step 1: INVEST in lots of beer ! Strips DIY will cause you mass frusrtation.... Other than that I have no idea but have watched many of members go kookoo ! Good luck bro !
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Cant offer much advise about the stripes, but for the wax; wash the car using dish soap (it removes the wax) and claybar it afterwards. Lay your stripes then give it a solid waxing, and take some pics for us. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

just take your time, and make sure everything is straight before squeegeeing. if you mess up, i can sell you a replacement stripe kit for very little.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
ThumpeR1732

1. I was planning on taping just the roof and deck lid. I also kicked around the idea of taking some 1/4" craft string (not yarn) to mark center over the entire vehicle. Good? Bad?

I used a laser line to assist in placing my stripes, im not sure how well a line will work due to the cars body lines but I guess it’s worth a shot. If not you can get a laser line for really cheap.

2. I'm hoping to get my bearings with how the vinyl will behave by laying the stripes on the top of the spoiler first, letting them set and everything. Good? Bad?

I started with the lower trunk section because the stripes are already cut to fit around the trunk lock and third break light. Doing this will set the proper gap for you to follow up the wing and trunk lid.

3. All of my stripes are transfer-taped. I understand that this has to be removed when doing the bumpers because of the tough angles. Should I also remove the transfer tape for all the other pieces so that I can actually get the top of the stripes wet? Is it vital that the transfer tape remain dry until it's time to pull it off? Do the tops of the stripes have to be wet during application as well, or is only having the vinyl wet underneath important?

I can’t help you on this one. I ordered my stripes without the transfer tape. Make sure to wrap your applicator with a lint free cloth and keep it damp, this will prevent scratching the stripes. Don’t push hard on the stripes!! Use about the same pressure you would rub your temple when your head hurts. 

4. I will not be striping the factory hood scoop. BSM recommends that I do NOT remove the scoop for installation. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct procedure?

I think this is right but again I ordered full hood stripes and reinstalled my scoop over the stripes. If you do this make sure to put some foam tape on the bottom of the scoop. This will prevent it from scratching and rubbing the stripes.

5. I have a garage in which I will work. If the temperature outside doesn't crack 60 degrees, should I consider bringing a space heater into the garage and closing the door to provide extra heat, or will the mild temperatures not affect the adhesion of the vinyl too much?

Na, 60 is fine to work in. If you need to help the processes use a hair dryer or heat gun.

6. As far as washing the car before the install, I understand that I have to remove all wax. A few weeks ago, I thoroughly applied a layer or two of EagleOne's Nanowax Spray. How will I know when the wax is sufficiently removed? Will simple dish soap and a sponge do a good enough job removing wax? If not, how should I go about washing the car to prep for install?

Dish soap should do the job but not sure on this one. Maybe someone on the forums has more information on this.

7. If I'm laying the stripes over a couple of days (I'm thinking this Thursday and Friday), how should I store the car overnight? Cover? Sheets? Don't bother?

Don’t bother. If your leaving it in the garage I think covering the car would cause more issues then a little dust.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys! I just found out that I'll basically be all alone for the install... Oh well, looks like beer and music party in my garage while I work.

Another question came to mind. What did all of you do when you got to the window washers? I assume they pop out easily, but do you have to poke a hole in the stripe to get the washer back on the hood? How does that all work?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

have you installed it yet? am i too late?

i just recently replaced my own stripes...i, like you, have never done any striping before.....
in spite of that, attention to detail and patience along with determination helped guide me through the 5 hour process of installing the top striped on my vehicle and looks perfectly straight....

items i used:

*pre-cut roush stripe kit
*spray bottle with water/soap solution (dish soap will work)
*plastic spreader kit used for spreading bondo, bought from advanced auto parts (used for squeegeeing the water)
*measuring tape for measuring out your midline down the vehicle
*crayon or wax pencil for marking your midline with small lines to keep your center
*hair dryer or heat gun to facilitate drying
*most importantly, a car port of some type of enclosed area to prevent sand from blowing up under the vinyl

it is important to be very critical on your measuring and centering...

you will find that even though you have squeegee'd a particular stripe area, the vinyl can still be pulled up, soap solution reapplied under it, then repositioned, just not too many times....

be careful not to pull on on the vinyl too hard or youll stretch the piece then it will be warped...

understand, that front bumpers are pretty difficult and you might mess up on it and have to take it to a sign shop to get the striped professionally like i had to do but no biggy...(i had a sign shop stripe my front bumper and rear decklid between the tails for $55, pretty cheap)

prep well before applying stripes with alcohol or whatnot in the area of application...

total installation time of the stripes you see was 4.5 to 5 hours...patience is key...

post other questions here...

Last edited by 0NF1R; 04-07-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

for the window washers, if you cant take then out for the stripe install, i would suggest using an exacto knife to cut a hole just a bit smaller than the washer and use a hair dryer/heat gun on that area heavily as you are slipping the vinyl hole over the washer during installation...the heat will cause the vinyl to expand and stretch and fit over the washer...but i would try removing the washer first and foremost...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

my stripes had the windshield wiper nozzle holes already cut out.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Haha 0NF1R, you're not too late. I'm stuck here at school until tomorrow. My CAI/Tuner and LCA's just arrived today at home, so I think the CAI will go on before anything else.

Anyway, I'm looking to get started late tomorrow (probably not) or very early Thursday. A while ago, I cut each stripe section and labeled it by part and added orientation arrows. I think another issue I'll have is lighting... My garage is pretty dark, but I have one of those giant painter's halogens (the one with the goofy black cage around it) that I could probably use as an instant heat gun if need be haha.

Another question:
If I leave my garage door open during the daylight hours to add light, am I running a huge risk of getting dirt/debris under my stripes?

Quick Reply: Striping the Stang this week: Tips and tricks?