Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Dont use wax on vinyl stripes!!! Myth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
i use NXT Tech Wax 2.0 liquid wax....leave an excellent excellent shine....i have had no problems with any damage or discoloration of my stripes...
This is the very reason that carnuba waxes and the Tech wax can be used....no cleaners or abrasives...Tech wax 2.0 is the best and it has restorative oils that feed the pant and in this case the vinyl that is glossy.....if its flat vinyl stripes DO NOT wax or polish etc.....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

just for the added info, the tech wax 2.0 paste or liquid (liquid recommended) can be found in the automotive section of wal-mart for $13-$14 and is worth every penny....
Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
DID YOU HAND WAX OR USE A BUFFER TO APPLY AND REMOVE THE WAX? sry for the caps but i dont feel like deleting and typing it all again... :-)
I did a 3-step that my friend had that had (I think) a wax remover, sealant, and Carnauba. I used a random orbital on the remover and sealant (and it looked awesome after the sealant, the vinyl was shinier than I've seen it in a LONG time). Once I put the Carnauba on the paint, we realized it was too fine or something and the buffer couldn't buff it out, so I hand buffed the Carnauba over the entire car, which is where the swirls developed from because they weren't there after the sealant.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

i am starting to get oxidation on my stripes, I know i have all the meguiars 3 stage stuff will any of this stuff work?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
I did a 3-step that my friend had that had (I think) a wax remover, sealant, and Carnauba. I used a random orbital on the remover and sealant (and it looked awesome after the sealant, the vinyl was shinier than I've seen it in a LONG time). Once I put the Carnauba on the paint, we realized it was too fine or something and the buffer couldn't buff it out, so I hand buffed the Carnauba over the entire car, which is where the swirls developed from because they weren't there after the sealant.
Depending on your buffing pad ,foam,cotton,or wool. The pad used can have an bad effect on the wax or polish your using. The three step process your doing a great.Next time try applying your carnuba on a single panel(fender,door,deck lid, etc.) and wipe it off by hand with a micro fiber towel when you complete the panel.Don't let the carnuba set up hard. The residue from the wax can actually put micro scratches back on your polished finish.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 AM
bomber

I was very careful along the edge of the flat black stripes of my 2011 GT, but still managed to get some swirls along the edge in a few places. Any ideas of how to remove them? The blue painters tape is a great idea, but too late.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

your supposed to wax gloss stripes. your not supposed to wax matte stripes. 2.0 tech wax is great stuff
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

FWIW I wax my matte stripe weekly along with the rest of the car using Turtle Wax ice synthetic spray way. It works great and while it might not last long according to some, you can use it on everything on the car. i use it on the black plastic trim, you can even use it on glass. the thing i like about it is that the ice synthetic detailer spray sort of reactivates the way and both products are excellent for getting water spots off the car.

The stuff doesn't make the matte stripes glossy in the least, they just sort of have a deeper matte look. My favorite part about the products is that it's so slick that squashed bugs will come off with water pressure when i was or at worst a sponging. Tar does as well so i don;t have to use bug and tar remover on the car. it works so well that the guys in the local club usually ask me each time we have a get together if i drive it each day (which i do) since the paint is so glossy and it has few water spots.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Here is the skimpy on stripes and wax.

Wax on regular stripes is fine.
Wax on the matte color stripes is a NO NO.

The wax leaves a cloudy residue on matte colored stripes that can in fact
stain them permamently. And just because you wax them 5 times without the stain happening...
it eventually will happen.

For matte colors use 303 Aerospace Protectant.
They have a website.
This stuff is SERIOUS business when it comes to protecting vinyl.
RV companies and boat companies put this stuff on their vinyl decals
out of the factory so they wont fade when they are on the lot.
Rain, snow, dust, sun, whatever... it is A+ at protecting your stripes from them all.
OH yeah.. it also leaves them looking great.

I thought maybe it was a gimmick given it was only available on the net
and it wasn't really expensive but someone pointed me to the product and
It is the beez knees! I ordered a kit that came with a 20oz sprayer full of it and a gallon
on the side thinking I would need it all but in a year and a half I have not even used
half of the original 20oz
Best thing is it takes only a SMALL amount to protect your vinyl.
I'm not kidding... 2 sprays on a cloth and the hood is done.

It is greasy so you have to be sure not to use to much as to make a mess.
If you get it on your paint no worries though, it can't hurt it at all and it wipes off
easily.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i think it really depends on what sort of way you are using, like i said the spray i use leaves nothing behind on the stripes as far as residue and gets the water spots off very well. i woudln't put a paste on them though.