Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Headlight Covers -Tint or Plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Default Headlight Covers -Tint or Plastic? - UPDATE - *Pics added

Whats up guys - looking to get come light covers all the way around my baby. Has anyone used the tint blackouts or plastic? If I remember they used to be plastic, but now all i can seem to find is the tint. Its much cheaper and just wondering if anyone has used it or should I shell out the $$ for the plastics?

Last edited by -SHIFTY-; 04-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
-HAZARD-

^^^ Formally me - had to make new account

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i have covers for my head lights and tint for everything else. The thing i think looks better and cleaner than the covers, but the covers are cool because you can take them off at night.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Jersey - Your stang is looking real good man.

I took a look at your timeline - good stuff man

I think I'm just going to go plastic all around - they seem to be darker than the tint?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

thanks a lot man, if you want them dark, you can just buy limo tint or even have them professionally painted.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

well , you dont have to listen to me but this is just my 2 cents...

DONT BUY THE PLASTIC COVERS!!!

i had them all...tails....heads...had the covers for all four....

the tail covers are held on my 1 small velcro section then the trunk closes over the top of the covers kind of pinching it down to the car...this will keep the top part of the cover in contact with the car BUT when you are driving 50+ mph down the road, the updraft of wind from under the car will get in the tail cover from the bottom and push out on the cover...this prevents the tails from having a snug fit to the light...the covers also give the light a [ B U L K Y ] look since they fit over the light...i hated having to adjust my tail covers EVERY TIME i got out of the car...also, when i used to push the cover back against the car from getting lose, the edge of the cover cut into the bottom outside corner of my bumper exposing the black plastic under my perf white body paint...it was a disaster...

as for the heads, they dont fit exactly perfect either...you have to actualy bend the cover into a curved shape then forcefully wedge it in between the headlight/hood/fender corner area...then as you drove, the air gets in the space between the headlight and cover and moves it around...

i eventually sold all of them and just painted mine...

i stand behind painting them so much, that i began painting stang lights for others as well....if you wanted your lights smoked out, then it doesnt get any sharper and cleaner then painted lights...i use a clearcoat mixed with black paint so you get the smoked look but still get adequate light for the night...

you could go with the pre-cut vinyl as well if you wanted, ive never seen it before in person but if you could get it absolutely perfect with no air bubbles or sand underneath it, then you can achieve the look of painted lights but you will eventually have to redo them since its just vinyl, a rock or pebble in the lightest degree can shoot up and put a nic in the vinyl exposing the chrome headlight cone....

all in all, good luck with your choice...here are a couple pics with painted lights for you...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain a bit about the lights

I went ahead and ordered the plastics last night - I was wondering how they held on and was just going to wait and see. Hmmmmmmm

Now you got me thinking - if they don't fit right or its a pain in my $$$ I'll pop them off, sell them and try tint or paint. I wanted the plastics so I could take off at night if I choose?

Live and learn I guess - gotta try things - but I wish I would have read your post first

Obviously you know what your doing when it comes to customizing. I took a look at your gallery and there is some sick stuff up there man. I'm totally envious of your car by the way. It looks so damn clean man. LOVING the vinyls you did - simple but just right. I'm wanting to put a few custom vinyls on my ride but not there yet.

I do graphics - print and web design - so coming up with some unique vinyls wont be a problem.

Thanks again for the time and 1UP on the car!

HEY 0NF1R - is that first picture fro Old town in Orlando?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

thanks a lot for the comps bro and its a good habit to consult the forums before buying something and sry for getting my post up too late :-/...also, yes that first pic is from old town lol...a lot of rides there as well as chics....they are all over the place and it makes me wonder, do i go there to look at cars or look at girls? lolol plus you can win prizes...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Old Town is pretty cool I must say - I used to live right off 192 and took my 87 up there quite a bit

I was like - I know where that was taken - pretty cool
Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I like the new name!....tint them!

Quick Reply: Headlight Covers -Tint or Plastic?