Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Trufiber Venom Water through Heat extractor

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Bird1606
1st Gear Member

Default Trufiber Venom Water through Heat extractor

I wrecked my GT/CS 12 weeks ago and have had all sorts of problems getting my car back from the shop. I went today to pick it up (finally) and found lots of paint chips, so tomorrow will be the real deal. I had a GT500KR conversion done to it, and I looked at the heat extractor ports and could see clearly into the engine bay. Will that be a problem driving in the rain? I think I remember seeing a thread on this but I couldn't find it when I searched. Does someone make something to protect that area from getting wet, or do I even need to worry about it?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:24 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Many members have that hood and I dont think they had any problems. A great resource on this forum is mellowyellow06 and he can help with this question. I moved this to the appearance section...others will chime in soon
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

I am having one prep'd as I type this and my guy (Primo Customs) noticed the very first fan or vent (whatever it's called) in both extractor ports will collect water since there is no where for the water to go. He's drilling a pin hole in each one so water will drain.

Other than that, I live in LA, we don't get that much rain and mine is not a DD. I'm sure others will chime in with their real-world experiences.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

no, don't drill holes in that first louver area....it's not going to hurt anything if water sits in there until you drive the car and have the water come out..
Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
no, don't drill holes in that first louver area....it's not going to hurt anything if water sits in there until you drive the car and have the water come out..
Thanks for posting! But I'd like to understand why. It sort of bothers me to think water would sit in that first vent if it rained or sit in there until I manually drained it.

I don't have the hood on yet and I definitely want to hear from someone who has everyday experiences with the hood.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNJDevil
Thanks for posting! But I'd like to understand why. It sort of bothers me to think water would sit in that first vent if it rained or sit in there until I manually drained it.

I don't have the hood on yet and I definitely want to hear from someone who has everyday experiences with the hood.
As long as you keep a good wax on your car, the water isn't going to hurt anything collecting/sitting in that first vent area. I wish I could give you a more detailed everyday experience, but unfortunately I work from home and don't drive the car everyday, nor does it get driven in the rain....but there's a fellow club member that has a similar hood to mine (for the GT front end), and his is not only a daily driver, but sits out in a parking lot at the college that he is currently attending. After he did the conversion, it rained quite a bit here and I asked him how everything was and he told me he's had no problems whatsoever....

It might be just me, but I'd rather have water collecting there until I can either drive the car or manually dry it out rather than drilling holes there.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

yes water does collect in my first vent of my venom. However like 05 mustang said i would rather have water collect there then drain onto the engine.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
yes water does collect in my first vent of my venom. However like 05 mustang said i would rather have water collect there then drain onto the engine.
it's not even that, because you're gonna have water get into the motor through the other vents areas...I'm sorry, I just can't see drilling holes in the hood just so water doens't sit there....like I said before, it could just be me here, sorry, I'm not trying to start anything or tell you what to do, I just want to make sure you really think about what your doing and why, because once the holes are there, they're pretty much there. I just don't want you to have any regrets later on. You are the very first person suggesting to do this here on the forums (that I'm aware of), and nobody's ever complained/mentioned this before.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Or you guys could just ask me Mine is a daily driver that has been in the rain serveral times and get washed alot and there is NO problems what so ever with the water coming in threw the vents. And yes, the first part of the vent does collect water but its not a problem either since when your driving it just blows out and when you wash it you just wipe it out. There is no need to Mod the vent
Old 04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
1nasty05
2nd Gear Member

Same here mine is a DD and it collects the water like everyone elses in the 1st vent but its not a big deal to me like they said above you can just wipe it or it blows off i wouldnt want a hole in my hood to drain more water into the engine its getting enough from the rest of the vent..... But to answer your question my car runs fine with the water coming in.

Quick Reply: Trufiber Venom Water through Heat extractor