Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

New stealth engine mods - black powder coated valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Default New stealth engine mods - black powder coated valve covers

Took advantage of a rainy Sunday and finally was motivated to install a set of black powder coated valve covers I picked here in the classifieds. Until seeing the pics of Smooth_J's E-force install with black covers earlier today, I was unsure if they were going on the car as I was leaning towards silver.

Thanks to TacoBill's sticky, the install was fairly easy. In hindsight, this mod would have been a lot easier when my car was tore apart during the Supercharger install... but considering I found these a couple weeks after finishing that install, it just made things a bit more challenging.

But now I have yet another new error popping up after reinstalling the battery as a Tire Pressure Monitor error is now displayed every time the switch is turned on (clears with a reset, but comes back) along with having a "CD Error" that happens everytime I open the door (not clearable).

Anyhow, all I need now is some billet caps and the engine bay is done for a while!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Nice

What happened to your oil fill neck on the cover? Did you also get the gator back goodyear belt?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

No clue on which belt came with my kit.

As for the filler neck... it actually comes right off and mounts/secures just like the cap. All you need to do is pry of the latching tab on the lower side (rotate it past the locking tab on the cover) and twist the neck counterclockwise to remove it. The you can simply install tha cap in place of the neck in the cover hole. After doing the SC install, I never liked how the fill neck looked anyhow as the cap was too close to the intercooler line. And since my black set did not have one installed, I just left the neck on the stock covers.

I am considering doing something custom to stock set down the road, which is why I snagged this set from the classifieds, so that I would not be in a rush to get it done
Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Looks good but I thought that kit came w/ matching trim that went over the fuel rails and pretty much hide the covers?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Looks good!

To an unsuspecting observer, looks practically stock under the hood lol...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
Looks good but I thought that kit came w/ matching trim that went over the fuel rails and pretty much hide the covers?
Yes, the kit did come with some Edelbrock "logo" coil covers. But they were a bit too much for me, which is why I went this route. I purposely spent extra time when routing my wiring during the Supercharger install to hide as much of it as possible. And now with these black covers, it all looks nice and clean

Stealth_GT... that was exactly my intent to have an unsuspecting convertible

Now all I need to do is ditch the stock wheels and get my Foose hood in for paint!

Last edited by Doogie65; 04-26-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

looks good man!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
No clue on which belt came with my kit.

As for the filler neck... it actually comes right off and mounts/secures just like the cap. All you need to do is pry of the latching tab on the lower side (rotate it past the locking tab on the cover) and twist the neck counterclockwise to remove it. The you can simply install tha cap in place of the neck in the cover hole. After doing the SC install, I never liked how the fill neck looked anyhow as the cap was too close to the intercooler line. And since my black set did not have one installed, I just left the neck on the stock covers.

I am considering doing something custom to stock set down the road, which is why I snagged this set from the classifieds, so that I would not be in a rush to get it done
I agree, I don't like it too much either However I may just leave it for ease of oil changes, but I am not sure though
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
war machine 115
2nd Gear Member

Looks really good
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
xtreme02gt
2nd Gear Member

Did you install them yourself? If so how hard was it? or was it easy?

Quick Reply: New stealth engine mods - black powder coated valve covers