Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Badge in Horn Center

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Sidmonster

Default Badge in Horn Center

The previous owner somehow managed to scratch the badge in the center of the horn. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement badge? Or does anyone have one they're willing to part with (maybe changed steering wheels or something)?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 PM
memphisstylee

to my knowledge the badge is just a thin metal badge that is held onto the airbag with 6 small tabs that you cannot access without taking the airbag assembly apart. So with that being said I dont know how to change it out without taking the airbag apart to get to it. I think the easiest and cheapest way to fix it would be to take the airbag out of the car and mask everything off and repaint just the black part or do your own paint theme. Follow the instructions in this thread to take the airbag off: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...-for-s197.html
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Sidmonster

I was afraid that would be the case. Don't really want to go that far, so I guess I'll just paint it. (I can paint it in place with my air brush... was just hoping it was quick and easy to pop on and off). Thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Mine was damaged as well this is what I did, fount the info via a google search.

Ordered a new emblem from:
http://www.makingitdigital.net
the size you need is 2 3/8

I pryed off the old one with a small screwdriver, pops out easy, then I trimed down the fins behind it so the new one would sit more flush. Added a bit of extra glue to the new emblem and thats it. Been on there for over 8 month in the hot south florida sun and no problem, still got the left over 3 incase it ever does come off.

Here is a pic of mine:
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Stetler17

Sweet.

I wondered why nobody was replacing them with wheel emblems and now I know. You can!!!

As long as I can gently pry mine off I'm all set. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Sidmonster

Hmm... an interesting alternative. But I'm not ready to give up on the original just yet. Somewhere in the world there is a factory making these little airbag emblems... and somewhere else (either on the assembly line or at some partnering factory) someone is actually being paid to insert them into the airbag cover. So there out there... we just need to find out who/where and ask them to sell us some! Anyone got any idea who manufactures the airbag for Ford? Who does the final assembly? Who it is that actually inserts the emblem? Does that happen at Ford or somewhere upstream? Someone knows!! Talk to me people!!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
BlackS197Stang
1st Gear Member

I clicked on the link, and couldn't find that particular emblem that you have. There were several Ford styles, but they didn't have that one. You think they quit making that one?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackS197Stang
I clicked on the link, and couldn't find that particular emblem that you have. There were several Ford styles, but they didn't have that one. You think they quit making that one?
Its under Misc Center Caps

I prob would have painted mine but the clear coat was cracked and moisture got up under it. I tried to strip off the damged clear coat but it didn't come out right.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
TheHighlander
2nd Gear Member

any chance that changing this and gluing in a new one might effect airbag deployment?