Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Tinting the break lights with store tint film.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by staggolee
ha i never wandered into this thread because i figured you'd get a quick answer, guess not. You need to tint the outside. To take out the tail lights, get everything out of your trunk (makes everthing easier) and tak out the liner that covers the floor of the trunk. After that you have to take out the plastic trunk piece that covers the lights. There's about 4 of those plastic push nails just like the ones on your radiator cover that you need to pop out. Theres also two plastic screws that have to be turned out, one on either side. After you take off that plastic you have to unscrew the 6 nuts (3 on each sides) that are holding the lights on the frame. Since this is your first time doing this there might be rubber grommets covering the screws but they peel off easy once you start twisting.
Why would I have to take out the lights if I am using tint film?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

you asked in the original post if there was a thread that tells you how. I don't know of one, so I just said how to do it. You're right that you probably don't need to do it, but you asked so i figured you thought it might be easier to work with the lights with them out of the car, which i think is pretty reasonable.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by staggolee
you asked in the original post if there was a thread that tells you how. I don't know of one, so I just said how to do it. You're right that you probably don't need to do it, but you asked so i figured you thought it might be easier to work with the lights with them out of the car, which i think is pretty reasonable.

gotcha
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

well its a good thing we're not a--holes haha
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

I've been researching between the window tint and VHT Niteshade Spray and both seem just as easy but the spray requires a little more work with the wet sanding and prepping. Believe I'm going to try 50% window tint after work today and see how that goes. If all else fails I'll just purchase the vinyl overlays from www.autobadges.com
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by KcMstang
I've been researching between the window tint and VHT Niteshade Spray and both seem just as easy but the spray requires a little more work with the wet sanding and prepping. Believe I'm going to try 50% window tint after work today and see how that goes. If all else fails I'll just purchase the vinyl overlays from www.autobadges.com

I'm gonna do the same.
PM me after you do it and let me know how it goes.
I'm gonna do mine late today to and I'll do the same.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
I'm gonna do the same.
PM me after you do it and let me know how it goes.
I'm gonna do mine late today to and I'll do the same.
I found this video on youtube...not a mustang but same idea!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX949DS6ERQ
Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Coolio.
What is he using to mash it in place? is that a wet squeegie or something?

And is that a blow drier?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-01-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Squeegie and hot gun...I tried the tint and got frustrated! I also bought the VHT Niteshade and followed the steps in the how-to place on here. I like the way it came out. I sprayed 3 coats and going to wet sand again and buff tomorrow after work! I also looking to do that same with my 3rd brake light, marker lights, and turn signals!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Well I got up this morning to get a better look at the lights and I might have gotten them a little too dark for my taste. If I wetsand them now since they are painted will that lighten them up any?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinting the break lights with store tint film.