Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Flat black paint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Verbass

Flat will eventually chalk up and get even duller go gloss it will take protection better
Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobrakiller347
okay so my painter said he will paint my trunk lid and paint my stock hood scoop flat black for 150. my question is do u think it will look good? also i was debating getting my spoiler painted flat black along with my gas door. tell me what u think!! thanks guys all opinions welcome
Have you ever considered or ever heard of flat black vinyl wrap?

Just 2 weeks ago a pro-baseball player had my cousins shop cover his entire Carrera GT in flat black vinyl wrap. It looks mean as hell, and if he ever changes his mind, he can just peel it off and have his nice shiny paint back. The guy who supplied the vinyl had enough left over to make my cousin his own "black out" panel for the rear of his mustang. See the pics below.

Last edited by thedrod; 06-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

flat black will not polish out all at. it stay somewhat dirty looking all the time. I would recommend semi-gloss black. this way you could still wash and wax it with nice results.

you can use semi-gloss black OR flat black with a clearcoat.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

I have been doing vehicle wraps for a while now. It is a GREAT option since you can go back to stock color in the matter of 1 hr by peeling the vinyl off. It's 1/2 the cost of paint and can be reversed. And it gives some protection to the car from chips and fading. I have been thinking about a custom wrap on my GT. Since i own the company i can write off the cost as a demo vehicle..
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I dont think this car needs anything to look better. Someone with a lot of money am sure he would put racing stripes on a Lamborghini as well or paint a Ferrari bright orange to be different. I am glad I am poor.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TonyGT
I have been doing vehicle wraps for a while now. It is a GREAT option since you can go back to stock color in the matter of 1 hr by peeling the vinyl off. It's 1/2 the cost of paint and can be reversed. And it gives some protection to the car from chips and fading. I have been thinking about a custom wrap on my GT. Since i own the company i can write off the cost as a demo vehicle..
Since I don't live anywhere near Pennsylvania....what would be a good price to do something similar to a Mustang? I'm not holding you to it, I was just curious...no special deals, just anybody walking in off the street.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

There is a paint called Hot Rod Black, it's a very hard almost flat black paint, it has like a 5% shine to it, so very little. That's what I have on my spoiler and it has been though countless washes, winter, salt, rain, etc. You can't wax with a normal wax but you can use a quick wax on it with no effect.

The paint only comes in non spray can form, so it has to be sprayed at a body shop (unless you can do that) but it cost me 80 bux to have mine done and I love it!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
Since I don't live anywhere near Pennsylvania....what would be a good price to do something similar to a Mustang? I'm not holding you to it, I was just curious...no special deals, just anybody walking in off the street.

Never have done a flat black one before. Not even sure what the vinyl for that runs per roll. But a full color wrap can be from $1,000 and up. depends on what you get, size of vehicle, complexity, work time ext....
Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

With a silver Mustang I think satin or gloss black would look best.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

chaulk board black no, but im liking this hot rod black.
either way with a few coats of clear your not gonna change the apperance of the paint much without some heavy power polishing

Quick Reply: Flat black paint question