Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Is painting part of your body flat black a DYI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Default Is painting part of your body flat black a DYI?

I've been wanting a decklid blackout panel out for some time, and tonight I thought maybe it would be cool to just get it painted flat black. I think that if it's done right it can look stock and will work really well with my smoked tails and my GT500 bumper that's waiting for paint. How hard/recommended would it be to do this myself? Is there a high quality flat black paint I can buy that's easy to use? What about prep? Or should I just get it done when i paint my bumper? Thanks

EDIT:Yeah, I meant DIY...and lets pretend I said "decklid" instead of "body" in the title so it looks like it actually belongs in this kind of forum...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Can't comment on the quality or anything yet, as I just ordered it today, but what about DIY vinyl blackout?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah that's was what i was thinking about before. The pics of the flat black on tungsten look good. Does BSM have free shipping? I saw an ad online for a place in LA that did the same thing for $20 installed but now I can't find them...If anybody can recommend a good vinyl shop that can take care of it in Socal that would be great.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

The vinyl would be a much better bet. Painting the trunk lid isn't hard in comparison to other panels, but does require a lot of prep. I would worry about masking off the rest of the car- can you imagine how much black overspray would....? Ah, I can't even think about it.

Personally, I would recommend a rear trim panel. For ~$100 it fills the area nicely, and can get rid of that fake gas cap.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah, ideally I want the SHR honeycomb panel. I think I'll pick up a $25 vinyl cutout in the meantime and take care of some other mods before getting a permanent panel.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 AM
PDParts.Com

This is actually a VERY easy, DIY project.

The surface you want to do (decklid) just needs to be sanded with 600 grit sand paper (wetsanded).

Then use a grey scotch brite pad with cleaner (ajax, comet) and scrubb the surface to make sure all dirt, wax, grease etc is gone.

Then mask off the area with tape.

Then goto your local lowes, home depot, harbor freight etc. Buy some plastic sheeting and cover your car to make sure you dont get any overspray.

Then use a product such as SEM Trim Panel Black which is in aerosal can. This would be the nicest finish. You can also use black primer but I recommend SEM trim panel black can.

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it goes!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

or you can pay a body shop $100 to take you panel off paint it and return it to you installed.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 AM
PDParts.Com

Yeah, its a really simple job, not sure that a bodyshop would do it for $100...MAYBE Maaco, I can see atleast 175...

Really simple job though
Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

i've charged several people $100 for it. Then again I have flat black paint laying around. I'd say $155 max and ask for paint code FER777. It's a high quality matt black used by Ferrari that and one of the few matt blacks that looks good on automotive paint.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah if i'm going to pay anywhere upwards of $120 i would just buy an SHR blackout panel. Thanks for the help pdparts, i'm glad I have a step by step of how to do it if I decide to pull the trigger. And thanks for your input Legion.

Quick Reply: Is painting part of your body flat black a DYI?