Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Thinking about getting stripes (thoughts?)

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
abecker

Default Thinking about getting stripes (thoughts?)

I'm thinking about getting stripes on my car (I have a 2009 Black Glass roof GT). I've always liked the way stripes look on the Shelby,

So here are a few questions (I'm generally thinking of the self application method):

1) What do you suggest I use to remove the wax from the application area(s)?
2) Who would you recommend buying the stripes from, and what kit from them?
3) What would you recommend using to put the stripes on (what solution, etc)?
4) I've heard the big problem is them not setting right, how would I avoid that?
5) What other things would I need to buy to be able to install them?
6) Any other tips? (For how much they cost, I'd hate to screw up the installation)

Thanks (I know this is probably alot of dumb questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry)

Andrew
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

When you buy the stripes they SHOULD have instructions that would anwser all tese questions for you. I send them with every order i sell. As for a vendor, i am not sure. I make my own decals..
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i'm thinking that if you decide to sell the car... i hope they like stripes too. will be down resale value, always something to think about.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
i'm thinking that if you decide to sell the car... i hope they like stripes too. will be down resale value, always something to think about.
they come off......
Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM
abecker

any thoughts on the questions? (I know the value of the car may change, but that's why I'm going with self-applied stripes instead of getting it painted)
Old 07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by abecker
any thoughts on the questions? (I know the value of the car may change, but that's why I'm going with self-applied stripes instead of getting it painted)
honestly.. I have been installing vinyl since 1998 and now own a vinyl shop. If you have never done anything like this you should pay to have it done. The questions you are asking seems you never have messed with vinyl. You would waste your $$$ if you get a few big wrinkles in the vinyl and mess up the install. They are not that hard to do for a experienced installer. Totally up to you, but i hate to see someone waste $$$ now a days.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Not that you asked, but if I had a black car, I'd go with alloy gray metallic stripes. Subtle, mean, still sporty but not overbearing. Some of the stripes look like they have too much contrast for street, IMO. Fine for a race car, but sometimes a little too much for a street car. What color are you thinking of going with?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
VistaPony6

i personally got stripes on my car about a year ago and absolutely love em. Definetly get them professionally installed! good luck!
-Ariel
Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I agree with SuperD, I personally like the stripes a little more subtle than a bright white contrast.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM
lwroush09
1st Gear Member

I gotta say, I've installed tint and window graphics for years and doing the stripes is a little more difficult. My buddy, 0NF1R wanted to get his stripes redone and it was quite a process. Though I gotta say, they look great! Another tip, if you pay someone to do it, don't watch them do it. Because, if they do mess something real subtle up, you will see it forever. Otherwise, you won't notice it IF it is subtle. Just my input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about getting stripes (thoughts?)