Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Opinion Drake Scott Hood Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
jerry01

Originally Posted by 157db
Most Scott Drake stuff is not so good quality wise.
There are better hood strut kits out there.
Not diggin the slot for the bolt on the rear of the hood brackets....
Havin trouble holding hole to hole tolerances there, Scott?
You know I kinda have to comment on this. I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago while searching for info on the couple different types out there. I actually ended up going with the Drake setup because I liked the styling the best out of what I saw. What's funny is when I got them I was anxious to install them but my roomie was out of town that weekend and I was a little worried about how I was going to hold my hood up with one hand while I remove both the hinge bolts, then line up the bracket and get everything in place to put the bolts back in by myself. I realized though that with the slot, I never actually had to do juggle any of that. I was able to remove just one bolt, and only loosen the other to slide the bracket into place without actually unbolting the hood. Then reinstall the other bolt and move on. For an installer doing it themself, having that slot made it WAY easy!

Also, I know I used to work in the auto design industry. We had to slot a lot of components and it had NOTHING to do with our tolerances. I mean if your CNC equipment is off that much, you need to buy some new equipement. The slots were to compensate for variences from the factory.

I guess I'm only typing this cause I'm pleased with my purchase and your particular reply seemed like a cheap shot at Drake for a product that so far I see no issues with and honestly think probably installed easier then the others out there by not having to juggle an unbolted hood while trying to install the bracketry.

Jerry
Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I wonder whenever the struts wear out if you have to go back to whomever you purchased it from to get new ones, or are they universal struts that you can get at any auto parts store?

Along those lines, after looking at that Redline website, I wonder if anyone has come across any site that just sells the brackets without the cartridges? I wonder if it would be cheaper to get the cartridges at an auto parts store locally? I haven't seen one up close, but I wonder if the struts for our trunk lids would be a replacement for those?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 AM
JEY

Default Hood Struts

I used Ninosport to supply my Hood Gas Strut Lift. They are flush mounted and you can pick natural finish or colored. They also use existing hardware. I did some checking and they appear to use the same struts as the trunk struts (if ever they need to be replaced). I picked natural since my color is vapor silver.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
goldhillstang
1st Gear Member

I have the Redline tuning lifts and love them. I don't really have occasion to work in the hood lift area that much??? And the erector set look of the CDC lifts doesn't do it for me.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 157db
Havin trouble holding hole to hole tolerances there, Scott?
I think he got away Scott free, lol.
Drake does a lot of classic Stang repro stuff and most of it is junk.
I wouldn't expect anything different with the newer car...