Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Best under-carriage lighting kit for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Best under-carriage lighting kit for the money?

im thinking my next mod is going to be a lighting kit for under the car to use during the night time car shows and meets.....i have already determined that the color will be red (i already know its illegal to drive with the red lights on under the car)...the next step is to determine which is the best kit for the money....i dont want the LED kits because the light will show up as dots so i will be using the bar type bulb kit and install it high so all you see is the glow and not anything closely resembling a shape....any input?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Do not go with a neon tube. It's going to break. Oh yes. It will eventually break. And you'll be out $$$. You'll hit a curb or pothole or speedbump or twist the frame on a sharp curve or any other number of things. They all eventually break. Stay away from neon.

And whatever you do be sure to complete the set with Wheel well lighting. Nothing looks worse than 4 black shadow zones of a car at night w/ these type of kits. Complete the circle. If you have the inner wheel kit then the lighting will have a continuous flow from one end to the next. Only downside is it gets dirty easy to cleaning is more frequent for these.

Oh, and be prepared for the oncoming "That's ricer" comments.

Last edited by Meph; 08-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meph
Do not go with a neon tube. It's going to break. Oh yes. It will eventually break. And you'll be out $$$. You'll hit a curb or pothole or speedbump or twist the frame on a sharp curve or any other number of things. They all eventually break. Stay away from neon.

And whatever you do be sure to complete the set with Wheel well lighting. Nothing looks worse than 4 black shadow zones of a car at night w/ these type of kits. Complete the circle. If you have the inner wheel kit then the lighting will have a continuous flow from one end to the next. Only downside is it gets dirty easy to cleaning is more frequent for these.

Oh, and be prepared for the oncoming "That's ricer" comments.
what he said. Find some very bright leds that are not spaced out much to avoid the dots. Also some sort of light diffuser will help alot. Think about the lights in a school or office, they have that plastic funny textured cover designed to scatter light so the fluorescent tubes look like a single light (or close atleast)

What ever you choose to do, post pics! Alot of people will say its rice, but it can look classy
Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

post pics when done...
Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Ahh thanks for chiming in here...i did some research and looked around some StreetGlow kits...they are all LED kits but are tubes of LEDs...they look to be closer than the older kits and should emit more of a line than a dotted look...i know some people will be saying its rice, but it will definately improve the show quality of the car at night...here is a pick of the beast a while ago at a weekly night car show...

i have been to evening classic car shows where the sun has just set and its starting to get dark...there were a lot of classic trucks and cars there that night and about half of them had undercarriage lighting and it was just awesome, and can be for anyone with a show ride as long as you choose the right color....i chose red because yes both of my outside colors are neutrals but i normally show the car with the windows down and my interior is red...i think it will really bring out the interior with red lighting on the exterior...thanks for the wheel well idea, ill defiantely check into it....for the record, the StreetGlow kit is about a bill in cost....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Please don't put lights under your car. It looks great the way it is. Plus lights are the most riced out thing next to a big wing.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

i dont expect all to agree on this but for those out there that actually HAVE cars put together for show purposes and have been to night shows before understand the visual effect underbody lights can provide if installed on a clean, well put together car...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Neon is old tech.

I vote the best undercarrage lighting is NONE.
But hey, if you got more $$ than common sense,
whos to say it wont be COOL..... LOL JK ETC
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
i dont expect all to agree on this but for those out there that actually HAVE cars put together for show purposes and have been to night shows before understand the visual effect underbody lights can provide if installed on a clean, well put together car...
A clean, well put together car is going to look like a clean, well put together car. The lights are of no consequence to that.
A badly put together car with lights is still a badly put together car, with or without lights.

I have a well put together car. I have been to shows, I have been in them, day and night.
I have seen cars with and without under body lights.

The under body lights are a matter of whether or not it sits well with someone. Some like the look while others think they have no place on muscle cars and only belong on ricer mobiles.

In my opinion lights are more of a fad rather than doing something to actually make a car look better. When I see a nice looking car at a show I am looking for a good paint job (custom or factory), nice looking engine bay, nice interior, etc...... just a good quality build.
I appreciate some nice custom work too.

But lights are not going to impress me or make me think the car looks better. It seems like something done a million times before and to me, adds nothing really.

When I see lights I think to myself, "This car has lights." and that is it.
They do not make the car look any better in my opinion.

They won't make me walk away from a car at a show, but they won't draw me more to the car than a clean car without them.
Like I said before, to me they are more of a fad than anything else.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

well thanks for the comments guys but it seems this thread has turned into a "should I or should I not" thread which is not what i was looking for when i posted this thread, hence the name "which is best for the money"...

ill just take it as no one knows which kit is best for the money....thank for your time and ill consider this thread closed...

Quick Reply: Best under-carriage lighting kit for the money?