Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
JohnTN
1st Gear Member

Happening again on my 2006 convertible. Garage kept, and only outside for about 7000 miles per year. Driver side coming loose on upper edge for 2nd time and passenger side for 3rd time. I want to try wdmuir's fix of using screen spline. Smallest Home Depot has is 0.125 inch. I managed to get it into the groove above driver's side panel (didn't go down the sides). But so far have not gotten it to go into the passenger's side groove. I tried some leather cording from a hobby shop (2 mm or 0.08 inch) but it is too small and too smooth and just pops back out. Searching for some 0.10 inch spline.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Looks awesome!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JohnTN
Happening again on my 2006 convertible. Garage kept, and only outside for about 7000 miles per year. Driver side coming loose on upper edge for 2nd time and passenger side for 3rd time. I want to try wdmuir's fix of using screen spline. Smallest Home Depot has is 0.125 inch. I managed to get it into the groove above driver's side panel (didn't go down the sides). But so far have not gotten it to go into the passenger's side groove. I tried some leather cording from a hobby shop (2 mm or 0.08 inch) but it is too small and too smooth and just pops back out. Searching for some 0.10 inch spline.
Door welts work?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/201705448258?_mwBanner=1
Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM
JohnTN
1st Gear Member

If at first you don't succeed ..... I poked around some more to measure the depth of the groove around the loose panel. It was about 1/4 inch deep. Tried the .125 spline again and it is just to thick to be pushed into the groove.

So, got the 2mm leather cord back out and found that I was able to push it further back into the groove than I had previously tried. Using a flat head screw driver I could push it further in and it would stay (for now). What you have to be careful about is if you push it too deep into the groove it goes behind the edge of the loose panel and of course does no good. So, experiment with how deep to push the cord. And try to also put pressure on the loose panel to get it as far back in the groove as it will go as you are pushing the cord in. I only used about 3 ft along the top, just enough to turn the corners at each end.

As someone noted, it might still bubble loose in the middle concave section, but I will wait and see. For now it looks good.

I got the cord from Hobby Lobby in a section for making necklaces and bracelets. It was wrapped around a piece of cardboard and the 25 ft length was $3.99.

John
Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

So I finally got around to repairing my drivers door. Man that cement is some strong smelling stuff! I did it outside, but being near it, and the can right under me, I was getting dizzy, lol.

I ordered some door welt from ebay that I posted a few post ago. Hoping to help it stay in place. Looks good too.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I have door welts on mine and it does hold it in place. Had them on for years.
Attached Thumbnails Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**-door2.jpg   Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**-door1.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM
crpitzer

Sagging door panels.... here's what I did. I bought some screen door spline, it looks like like round flexible cable and a tool used to press it into a screen door. You can buy several sizes but the .125" (1\8") seemed to be the right size. Press it firmly into the groove where the panel insert goes with the tool. it seems to be nice and snug. I guess you could use a glue if it works loose. This does a nice neat job.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:19 PM
CaptainComet

I repaired my door panels a few years ago. The glue held across the main body of the panel but the edges started coming loose.

Thanks to Hurricane Irma, I was in Lowes shopping for screen, and remembered this tip. I bought the 1/8" charcoal colored spline. This fix is epic! Using a screen roller tool, I did both doors in less than a half hour. I had to have my wife stretch the material with a pliers next to a couple of the tighter turns, but other than that, it was truly easy. It gives it back a well-finished appearance.

You can push the spline pretty far into that gap. I wouldn't want to try this without the screen roller tool. The spline was $4. I don't think the tool costs more than $5.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 PM
V8StickConv
1st Gear Member

Anybody not like the original insert and try this stuff. Method involves removing foam backing and getting glue off the door panel plastic with wire wheel, then gluing the leather insert directly to the door. How did it work for you?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/door-...=102218&intl=0
Old 07-06-2018, 02:47 PM
cthuener

Thanks for the info . My leather panels just started to come loose. I am going to fix them in the next week or so.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**