Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Stormey

Default My lil’ Red Pony

My lil’ red pony thanks you. She sat all forlorn and alone for 4 years while I battled with cancer - I won, but my pony’s leather peeled away on both doors.
I tried the auto store stuff, very messy and didn’t work, so your tutorial is looking pretty good.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Dutch57

Thumbs up Very happy with the result! Thanks all!

Thanks all for the very helpful information!

Both door panels on my 2006 GT had been ugly taped for several months until this past weekend. I used the original post supplies except I went with 2 small and 2 medium poly bristle brushes instead of foam brushes. They worked well and came in handy for cleaning out the dust and debris from the degraded material. Turned out great! It took less than 2 hours to complete the job, but I did check it a couple times over the next 8 hours and smoothed out any bumps in the glued panel.

The panels had come loose around the top of the armrest on both sides. This made it more of a job, but I was able to work the glue covered material into place by using a large screwdriver--a wide putty knife might of worked faster--to push it back into its original location. On the first door I didn't get it all the way in at the armrest and ended up with a little extra material at the top. I took a little more time and care on the second door and got the pane back to its original position. Fix it before it comes off around the armrest and you'll have a fairly easy job, but know that you can still fix it if it does come off the armrest. Just give yourself and extra 15-20 minutes to reseat the glued panel in the crevice around the armrest. I'd give myself a "B", my girlfriend said "A-". Seriously, looks original.

Sorry I don't have pics of the process, but here's my boy:

FrankBest car I ever owned.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM
8 ball

I tried this stuff about 3weeks ago, and it’s already starting to come loose. The last adhesive I tried was the Gorilla Glue spray adhesive, and it lasted almost a year.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 PM
idgapny

Thanks for the post. You are right, you are not alone.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:14 AM
Otter

Originally Posted by 8 ball
I tried this stuff about 3weeks ago, and it’s already starting to come loose. The last adhesive I tried was the Gorilla Glue spray adhesive, and it lasted almost a year.
All I can say is I followed the original instructions using Weldwood contact cement back in 2014/2015 and,it is still fine. A friend bought the 06GT from me in 2016, still strong at 250k miles and door panels still not sagging. Car has never been a garage queen, but does have a cover.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 PM
LowkeyGT

Mine just started peeling, so thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM
valsurfer101
1st Gear Member

Hey everyone, Ive been dealing with the same issue for 5-8 years. Ive had them glued on professionally and my self and it never looks as good as factory.... I was surfing the web and found that coverlay makes an insert for them and it looks great! its molded abs plastic and they paint them, if you want for free. They are $150 however I found them for $135 on eBay (came drop shipped from the manufacturer) Honestly this is how the doors should of been designed, I got min in red and ill never deal with sagging panels again. I think if you really wanted you could wrap them in letter and it would hold up better than factory. Easy to install, they have a video on their site (I only had my door panels taken off for other work, you can leave them on to do it)
There was a company that made something similar years ago wut the were in the 350-500 dollar range and not worth it Imo.... I am happy some company has a good solution.

(Please excuse my dusty doors, they've been sitting in the garage for a while) hahaha

Last edited by valsurfer101; 01-11-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: photos mixup
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Wow, they look nice!
On my doors I put door piping around the insert and it has helped hold it up.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by valsurfer101
Hey everyone, Ive been dealing with the same issue for 5-8 years. Ive had them glued on professionally and my self and it never looks as good as factory.... I was surfing the web and found that coverlay makes an insert for them and it looks great! its molded abs plastic and they paint them, if you want for free. They are $150 however I found them for $135 on eBay (came drop shipped from the manufacturer) Honestly this is how the doors should of been designed, I got min in red and ill never deal with sagging panels again. I think if you really wanted you could wrap them in letter and it would hold up better than factory. Easy to install, they have a video on their site (I only had my door panels taken off for other work, you can leave them on to do it)
There was a company that made something similar years ago wut the were in the 350-500 dollar range and not worth it Imo.... I am happy some company has a good solution.

(Please excuse my dusty doors, they've been sitting in the garage for a while) hahaha

Wow, that's a great find. Thanks for posting. I think I'm going to order a set.
Lee
Old 02-23-2019, 09:43 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by valsurfer101

great info

just ordered a set, who knows how long that stuff is around.

the panels started to get loose when I sold my 2006 gt.

I did repair, glue it back on my 2009 gt/cs, looked ok but not as good as it should or was new.

now on my 2008 gt500 all looks still fine, but I rather be prepared for the likely inevitable

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**