Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

06 Mustang HID on Projector Headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
5TH

Default 06 Mustang HID on Projector Headlights??

I'm trying to do some research and I'll take any help/feedback I can get. I just recently installed all new lights on my 06 Mustang GT. My question is for the Projector Headlights, I'm thinking of going HID because honestly they look great, but at night they aren't bright enough to illuminate the road. Yea I can see just fine and they do provide sufficient lighting, but I really want to "SEE" the road.

When I brought the lights to the shop we were gonna go with 8000k HID blues, but then I was told that they could possibly melt the housing on the aftermarket housing, and I don't want that so I declined.

Does anybody out there have HID on the Projector headlights? If so let me know how they are working out.

Thank you,
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem with insufficient light at night. I first went with the stangmod hID bulb. There are nice, but high beams are not good enough and one of the ballast eventually failed me after just a few months. I then made the mistake of forking out nearly $900 on the OEM Ford HID lights available through Steeda. They also look great, but low beams are way too short (the typical abrupt cut off with HID lights) and high beams are barely OK. I have yet to find a satisfactory solution.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Wow, UFO syndrome going on there...

Last edited by 157dB; 09-05-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by odel
I had the same problem with insufficient light at night. I first went with the stangmod hID bulb. There are nice, but high beams are not good enough and one of the ballast eventually failed me after just a few months. I then made the mistake of forking out nearly $900 on the OEM Ford HID lights available through Steeda. They also look great, but low beams are way too short (the typical abrupt cut off with HID lights) and high beams are barely OK. I have yet to find a satisfactory solution.

AFAIK there are only two street legal true HID headlights for the S197 Mustang. The first was the Saleen kit and a couple of years later Ford came through with a factory version. The Saleen kit may be ever so slightly better but neither of these legal HID lighting kits is an ideal design because the car was not designed for use with projector HID lights but use the much less efficent reflector type design of the original halogen headlight.

I have the Saleen HID lights and they are O.K. if aimed perfectly but I don't follow the factory aiming method I just take them out to a pitch black road and aim them so I can see. I have also replaced the stock fog light bulbs with 55 watt HID conversion kits. They light up the night so well I never use high beams anymore because the combination of the Saleen HIDs on low and the stock fogs with the 55 watt HID conversion are so much better with a much wider and deeper area of illumination that the HID high beams look anemic.

HTH!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

OR you could take your headlights apart and stick a oem projector in there...it looks like it would fit perfectly...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5TH

Yea I can see just fine and they do provide sufficient lighting, but I really want to "SEE" the road.
You mean like this?

Retro-solutions. Best kit out there. That photo is with low beams and PIAA fogs (http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-4064-Must...2092964&sr=8-1), converted to HID's, btw.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:46 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

I use the kits from American muscle for my fogs and heads. Its like I have God under the hood. Let there be light!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:10 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by warnen
Its like I have God under the hood.
Let there be light!
You mean the HIDs are installed backwards to illuminate the underhood area??

Last edited by 157dB; 09-05-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 AM
5TH

Well I was hoping that someone would maybe have HID on these particular headlights that I have. I guess I will change my course of action. I would really like to get the factory Ford headlights with HID installed. Like the ones on the Bullitt Mustang. I'm going to eventually turn mine into the Black Bullitt.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will keep you all posted on the progress.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

From what I read you can't put HID in Projection lights. Maybe try some of the bright Silverstars before removing them (dunno the size you would need).

Quick Reply: 06 Mustang HID on Projector Headlights??